• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A voltage problems

drjconley

My new to me MEP-003A is putting out 160 volts on the 120 leg and 320 volts on the 240 leg. I try useing the voltage regulator, but I am getting no change in voltage.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what to test or replace to get the voltage to what I need?
It is running fine at 60 Hertz.

Thanks for any and all help.

Jim

drjconley

yes, the ac reconnect switch is correct.
I am getting no change in voltage when I adjust the voltage adjustment knob.
Any other ideas, I was hopeing to get this generator up and running today.
Thanks again,

Jim

drjconley

Yes, I have the ammeter/voltmeter transfer switch set to that position.
Any other ideas why the voltage adjust knob wont lower the voltage below 160/320?

Thanks again,
Jim

Carl_in_NH

Check all the wiring around the voltage regulator; it may indeed be bad - but it's also likely there's just a bad connection somewhere. Go through everything in the control cubicle, cleaning and tightning all connections and try again. Double check the ground connections on all bits and pieces. A crappy ground can cause all manner of grief.

If this fails you, then get the TM and start troubleshooting the voltage regulator. Running the genset at idle is one reason for them to fail - many posts on this. Search is your friend.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like the voltage regulator to me. If the voltage were floating all over the place, I would suspect a bad voltage rheostat (the adjustment knob on the main panel) or loose/dirty connection, but since it's going high and staying there, that's the classic signs of voltage regulator failure.

There is a great troubleshooting section in the TM that covers this.

drjconley

I checked the voltage rheostat with a tester and the resistance changes in a pretty linear fashion when it is adjusted. I also when through and tightened all connections. The ground was pretty loose. I started it back up, and the voltage stays high and the rheostat has no effect on voltage. I also checked over the voltage regulator and there is any evidence of damage to the board or components. I am looking into buying a new voltage regulator today.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Voltage regulator is going to be kind of pricey, Why not run through the TM and test it, then see if you can repair it, or have it repaired at an electronics shop. The schematics are in the TM as well as a components list, so any decent electronics/TV guy should be able to help you out some.

Just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks