• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 003a vs mep 803a

cuad4u

There have been several posts about which one is "better" the 003A or the 803A. While each has its pluses and minuses, yesterday I load tested them side by side.

I have refurbished around 20 003A's, so I think I know them quite well. The 003A I kept for my personal use is about as new and works about as well as any I have ever seen.

My 803A was "reset" in 2007 with a new engine and only has 14 hours. It still has a red tag on the emergency shutdown knob reminding me to change the break in oil after 30 hours. So both generators should be about as good as they come.

I load tested each generator with 13,000 watts of water heater elements in a plastic 55 gallon drum full of water. I kept tap water running into the drum to keep the water cool. The 003A ran with this load as long as I cared to run it. The 803A ran with this load for 14 minutes and the output contactor tripped out and the overload light came on. When the 803A tripped out the voltage was 240 and the current was 53.5 amps.

I repeated the load test with the 803A at 12,000 watts which was 240 volts and 50 amps and my 803A ran over an hour without tripping. Apparently the continuous duty limit of my 803A is around 12,000 watts. My 003A will go quite a bit more.

Bottom line is either generator will provide significantly more than its rated 10KW into a resistive load, which we all know.

Triple Jim

Thanks for running the test and reporting the results. From what I've read on this board, it seems likely that the results are more related to the design and adjustment of the overload breakers than the actual capabilities of the generators.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks