• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A wire size and governor setting questions?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read with interest - that someday it will be my turn to trouble shoot the MEP. I recently got a Fluke Clamp Meter that also does DC. Its really a dream to use and see what it happening (or not happening).

PeterD

Updates:

... Once I got the generator running I disconnected the negative battery terminal and I was still getting 26.6 volts at the fuse and the battery charge meter pegged all the way to the right into the green....
Personally, I'd recommend one never, ever disconnect the batteries on an engine that is running. The surge created can damage the regulator, and other devices connected to the battery line.

Polycop

Personally, I'd recommend one never, ever disconnect the batteries on an engine that is running. The surge created can damage the regulator, and other devices connected to the battery line.
Humm, never really thought of that. However that was a couple of months ago and all is (still) good, but in the future I won't do it.

Thanks,

Poly

Heavyopp

Updates:

Fuel Shut Off Linkage:
Not being able to leave well enough alone, the binding linkage right below the shutoff solenoid was bothering me (I would have to reach around and bump it with my hand while turning it over to get it to start). So I moved the bolt in the slot on the governor linkage out far enough to keep it from binding on shutdown / startup, but now I’m back to running at 60 hz with the speed control all the way in. I’m going to have to look at that a little closer.

I had the same problem with a 002a. What I found was when the solenoid shut the system down it would push far enough to bind the fuel linkage against the side of the hole in the shroud. When bound it would cause the long springed assembly to be slighlty bent. This was stopping the shaft from moving freely up and into the assembly. Basically it made the spring useless.

I fixed it with a die grinder and just made the hole slightly bigger.

When yours is bound, instead of trying to push up on the linkage from the bottom, try pushing down on the arm with the forks in it at the top. Doing this changes the angle of the linkage, clearing the hole, and allowing that springed assembly to work properly. If that solves the problem all you need to do is make that hole a little longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks