• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a won't start, really confusing

Milhouse

Ok, so we have an MEP-003a that we put ion a new high pressure fuel pump in, timed it etc. We also installed new injectors, and new glo plugs. We have verified that the injectors are spitting fuel, the unit turns over, smoke comes from the exhaust, so the fuel is getting into the cylinders, and when turning over we have held hand over the exhaust ports to verify compression, and it appears fine. So we have fuel, compression and glo plug, yet it still will not start, just turns over. Also note that oil pressure is also coming up to 35-40 while turning over, which is also normal. Were at a loss, just can't figure out this one! the fuel is also fresh, and we added a little diesel 911 just to make sure there is no gelling going on, fuel is flowing fine and returning to the tank as it should, like I said we have verified that the injectors are actually spitting fuel into the cylinder. Anyone have any thoughts??? were baffled!

Here is an update guys, got it started when we installed fresh fuel, however after running for 20 minutes, it overheated (tripped the sensor) and shut down, also melting the glow plugs in the process. The oil on the stick was barely warm, there is oil pressure, and we can hear it flowing, but it doesen't appear to be making it to the top of the block.. In the TM it seems to show a bypass behind the crank?? anyone had this issue before?? first time i have ever seen this, and I have done a lot of these gen sets in the last 2 years.

Last edited:

Milhouse

Yes, injectors bled, solenoid fully engaged. The generator ran after installing the new injectors, we ran it for 1/2 hour or so, went to start it the next day and it wouldn't start, pulled the glo plugs and they were fried, installed new ones but now it still won't start.

Carl_in_NH

Will it fire on a very small amount of ether in the air inlet (without using glo-plug preheat, which would be a hazard given the air inlet heater)? Just the smallest squirt should at least get it to kick a little. Don't like using it, but in this case it might be a good diagnostic tool.

What color is the smoke when it's turning over?

Milhouse

have not tried the ether yet, hate to do that if I don't have to. The smoke is greyish white, gets a little black in it the longer i turn it over, I believe this is the excess fuel in the cylinders.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holding your hand over the exhaust port is not a good test for compression I don’t think. How about adjusting the valves? Adjusting the valves is small, inexpensive thing to try doing…. Not to mention good PM.

Harleyd315

Ok just so I'm on the same page here, you replaced IP and injectors, then ran the machine for 1/2 hour. Then the next day you changed the glow plugs? New glow plugs or used? Did you check the glow plug wires for voltage, maybe you knocked something loose when you replaced them. I hate to say it but I have used ether a few times and it worked just fine. I take the air cleaner cover off and spray it at the filter. Just make sure the engine is cranking before spraying it in the air filter and just a short burst.

Milhouse

new glo plugs, and checked they are getting voltage, and getting hot.
I'm going to try pulling all the fuel out, just in case something got in it, just can't imagine what else it could be.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would loosen the lines to the injectors again and make sure you are getting fuel to the injectors. It's possible that you have a leak in the fuel intake to the IP and you now have air in the lines. If you use a shot of ether, make certain that the glow plugs / heater are cold.

Grega

Make sure the injectors have a good spray mist like action. Just got done troubleshooting a mep 016D with the yanmar diesel. There was a piece of forgien material in the new fuel filter that I installed and it partially clogged the injector and caused the injector to stream diesel insted of spray. It smoked like yours but didnt start. Hope this helps.

rickf

Do you have the stock filter arrangement? If so have you opened the drains on the filters to see if there is and water? It would take a lot of water to get to the pump though. Are the screens in the pumps clean? When you have it in the prime position are you getting fuel back to the tank? When you installed the new pump did you verify the correct timing button?

Rick

edgephoto

Hand over the exhaust is not a compression test. If everything is correct then you need to check compression. Low compression on a diesel makes them hard to start and near impossible in the winter, glow plugs or not.

Items to check:
Fuel
Spray pattern of injectors
compression
timing
no air in fuel supply

rickf

People keep mentioning spray pattern on the injectors and I cringe every time they do! Diesel injector will inject fuel right into the skin, Instant gangrene!!!! Chances are good you will lose the finger. Be very careful when checking diesel injectors, that is why diesel shops have machines that are enclosed to check them.

edgephoto

People keep mentioning spray pattern on the injectors and I cringe every time they do! Diesel injector will inject fuel right into the skin, Instant gangrene!!!! Chances are good you will lose the finger. Be very careful when checking diesel injectors, that is why diesel shops have machines that are enclosed to check them.
Absolutely correct. If you get the diesel into your blood stream you can die in minutes. Diesel shops have apparatus for doing the spray pattern check. Take a good size glass jar , empty of course, put the injector through the lid. The lid is metal so you can poke a hole in it and stick the injector through it. Then you can watch the pattern without getting in harms way. Safety glasses never hurt either.

Milhouse

UPDATE! Started, ran great, then overheated!! this is a first

Here is an update guys, got it started when we installed fresh fuel, however after running for 20 minutes, it overheated (tripped the sensor) and shut down, also melting the glow plugs in the process. The oil on the stick was barely warm, there is oil pressure, and we can hear it flowing, but it doesen't appear to be making it to the top of the block.. In the TM it seems to show a bypass behind the crank?? anyone had this issue before?? first time i have ever seen this, and I have done a lot of these gen sets in the last 2 years.Lines to the oil cooler were also only warm, and not any where near hot.
Good flow through the filter and hoses otherwise, oil is clean and clear.

rickf

That sensor is located in the head is it not? These are air cooled motors, have you checked for air flow over all of the cylinder and head surfaces? My guess is mice have clogged up the works. The bottom end will not get hot for a long time on these, especially without a load. You are going to have to pull off all of the sheet metal and check. I hope you have not melted a piston in addition to the glow plugs!

Rick

Milhouse

its not air flow, oil is not getting to the top of the engine. They are air cooled yes, but they are also oil cooled using an oil cooler, which is 100% clear, you can feel the air cleanly flowing over the entire engine, and we have had all the covers off when we rebuilt the injectors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks