• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003a

87Nassaublue

I believe I just got my MEP-802a at the same auction you got your 803a. My fuel take also has about a quarter inch of diesel waxy sludge in the bottom also but no corrosion or rust. It smelled like bad paint thinner when I got it. I didn't know diesel fuel would go bad like gasoline. Mine only has 144 hours on it. I haven't started cleaning out the fuel system on that one yet because I've been focusing on working through a boat load of problems on a MEP-016B I picked up earlier. Good to know yours still fired up good after cleaning out the fuel system. I hope mine behaves as well as yours. I'm finished troubleshooting my 016B now, just waiting on a couple of parts. I might start scrubbing out my tank on the 802A this evening. I'm going to see if lacquer thinner will cut all the sludge out. I don't think I'll need to use acid. Congrats on getting your unit on line.

jamawieb

I believe I just got my MEP-802a at the same auction you got your 803a. My fuel take also has about a quarter inch of diesel waxy sludge in the bottom also but no corrosion or rust. It smelled like bad paint thinner when I got it. I didn't know diesel fuel would go bad like gasoline. Mine only has 144 hours on it. I haven't started cleaning out the fuel system on that one yet because I've been focusing on working through a boat load of problems on a MEP-016B I picked up earlier. Good to know yours still fired up good after cleaning out the fuel system. I hope mine behaves as well as yours. I'm finished troubleshooting my 016B now, just waiting on a couple of parts. I might start scrubbing out my tank on the 802A this evening. I'm going to see if lacquer thinner will cut all the sludge out. I don't think I'll need to use acid. Congrats on getting your unit on line.
If you have the 802a don't use acid, it may eat through the plastic fuel tank. The comments from earlier post are for the 003a which has a metal fuel tank that rust.

crawdadjr

Mine smelled like paint thinner as well, on the paperwork mine was sitting for about 18 months from the last test data. So I was surprised the tank smelled like it did. I flushed it with clean diesel and everything was fine.

Guyfang

Staff member
Put a bottle of Carb cleaner, or Injector cleaner in the fuel tank. Can't hurt, and most always helps. We used to put a cup of denatured alcohol in the fuel tank once or twice a year to help with moisture. Once again, can't hurt. Never bet money on army paperwork.

Last edited:

87Nassaublue

Yea, That's about the time mine was last worked on. It was an 002A instead of an 802A The last worked on mine in 2014 and about 6 months previously. They put a new frequency starter on it as well as a new starter. It noted mine wouldn't start either time. I can't imagine the fuel not being bad at that time. It in no way smelled like diesel.

87Nassaublue

If you have the 802a don't use acid, it may eat through the plastic fuel tank. The comments from earlier post are for the 003a which has a metal fuel tank that rust.
I mis-quoted the model. Mine is an 002a. I've looked at so many and have been buying so many I got a bit confused. Interesting you mentioned the acit hurting the plastic tank. It shouldn't hurt the plastic. It's sold in a plastic bottle. Now the metal, it will etch that. I didn't want to put it in an aluminum tank. It may be too corrosive for aluminum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks