• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003a

Earl_Beverly

Hi Guys,
When my generator first failed, it just slowed down to idle then died. Linkage to injector pump was holding to max throddle. I changed filters, vented air, and established fuel flow up to the injector pump.
The motor started and seemed to run fine (with no load).
Two weeks later when started and under load the set would not hold RPM. (it did run - injector gear not stripped?)
I checked all the usual suspects up to the pump again.
Next, when I pulled the cover and delivery valve from the injector and switched on the fuel pump there was full flow. I did not check fuel pressure,
I turned the engine over and held a probe against the plunger to check that it is moving. (Cam is ok?).

If anyone has a clue what I need to do or where I can get another pump, please let me know. Also, can a pump from a two cylindet MEP-002 be used,
Thanks,
Earl

Carl_in_NH

I can tell you the two and four outlet injector pumps for the MEP-002A and MEP-003A are identical.

Don't know what your issue is - perhaps something in the delivery valve area blocked, or perhaps the metering assembly is binding and not going open far enough to support the generator under load.. Could pull that IP and take it to someone with a flowbench to test it for proper operation and pressure.

I'm in the process of replacing a pump on my 003A; they are not cheap, and I'll likly be rebuilding the one that's on there to retain as a spare. I already know what's wrong with it, and will be trying to order parts from AMBAC tomorrow.

Isaac-1

I am not sure if your generator uses the same type electric fuel pump that my MEP-016B uses, but if it does these pumps have a fuel filter screen in the bottom that seems to be left out of the maintenance schedule and may be clogged up. Look to see if the bottom of the electric fuel pumps have a set of posts and groves to unscrew somewhat like a childproof medicine bottle (There may be a place to unscrew with a socket wrench). Careful the guts of the pump will come out not just the filter.

Ike

Earl_Beverly

Ike,
I have cleaned the pump strainers.

Carl,
I will give the pump one more "on the engine" going over to check for trash or metering valve movement, then swap with a pump from a 5kw parts machine that I have. I will also try to find someone to have this pump checked out.

This is a very low hour, good condition machine, and I believe worth the effort.
Thanks,
Earl