• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004-AAS questions and making trip ready

Madderoftime

Just picked up a MEP-004-AAS and trying to get it ready for a trip to run welder, hand tools and compressor.

Did the single phase conversion listed here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...for-different-voltages-including-single-phase
and have not tested it yet because I went to replace the oil filter and there isn't one in the can. Also there isn't the spring and hold down washer. So no way to hold the filter in place in there. Found the part number 4330-00-724-1463 SPRING REF NUMBER & MFR CODE 118940 73370
Of course - no results searching. (edit - moved to classified)

Also the oil is very high on the dipstick. Like an inch past the "stop" point. Good clean oil just too much of it I think. The dipstick looks like it was brazed to the pan so not sure if in the exact right spot. Is that normal?

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

The brazed dipstick tube is normal. When the pans have good paint, this is not visible. Not sure if I have an extra filter assembly but will check in a few days. You should probably go ahead and post a message in the "Parts Wanted" section of the SS classifieds. One of the moderators may end up moving your post anyway.

Madderoftime

Thanks for confirming the dipstick part for me. I'll move the other to a classified ad just to be safe. I was on the fence if it was actually going to be a request or a just an ask for where to get something. Does that go there to? one way or the other I'll move to be safe. I have done a lot of reading on here but as you can see not much posting. :)

Gunzy

I have 2 MEP 004As that need work(2 to make 1) I would let go cheap. PM me if you are interested.

PeterD

IIRC, the washer is trivial, and again IIRC, I used an old valve spring once for the oil filter. I may have a spare and if so, I'd be glad to give it to you.

Madderoftime

IIRC, the washer is trivial, and again IIRC, I used an old valve spring once for the oil filter. I may have a spare and if so, I'd be glad to give it to you.
Valve spring? :-O OMG in that category of explosives for a flyswatter! LOL I think I remember reading that it actually didn't crush your filter either. Amazing TBH. TY for the offer. Let me give it a few to find something like original and if not I'll take you up on it. :)

I was looking into a spin-on replacement and was asked if it is a bypass setup or full flow on the White engine. I asked why it would matter and was shown a bypass filter base from WIX. It had like a 1.25" center thread and in the middle of that a .125 hole. I would not want the restrict my oil flow that much on my small tractor!

PeterD

Valve spring? :-O OMG in that category of explosives for a flyswatter! LOL I think I remember reading that it actually didn't crush your filter either. Amazing TBH. TY for the offer...
IIRC, (its been a few years) it was a very weak valve spring! You're right in not crushing the filter, you just need to keep it from moving. Later when I got a real spring from another generator, I was surprised how close I'd come to the factory one.

Or...

Someone with the second generator set had also used a valve spring? ;)

1800 Diesel

IIRC, (its been a few years) it was a very weak valve spring! You're right in not crushing the filter, you just need to keep it from moving. Later when I got a real spring from another generator, I was surprised how close I'd come to the factory one.

Or...

Someone with the second generator set had also used a valve spring? ;)
Peter,

The valve spring you mentioned may have actually been a spring "damper ". These were often used on high-performance engines to reduce valve spring harmonics at high RPMs. IIRC they were coiled from flat stock (not wire) and had very light spring pressure compared to a regular valve spring...

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks