• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 004 Mystery

Coley

Working on a MEP 004 picked up at auction. NEar the water pump and on the left side of the engine are two bare hose barbs 1/2 or 3/4 inch. I'll attach photos. I am wondering if a hose just goes between these? Also, does anyone have a current civilian air filter number for this. I have looked through the archives and am unable to find a match to anything posted. IMG_4411 (002).jpgIMG_4412 (002).jpg

Thanks much.

CF

uniquify

Near the water pump and on the left side of the engine are two bare hose barbs 1/2 or 3/4 inch. I'll attach photos. I am wondering if a hose just goes between these?
My guess would be a hose going to/from an aftermarket coolant heater, such as a HOTSTART, etc.

Guyfang

Staff member
Air filter NSN 2940-00-463-1362
Part Number P13-1310
Manufacture: Donaldson
Cost: 21.00 bucks

Call Donaldson and ask them for a sub filter. They made it, they should be able to help you. Have you tried Green Mount?

Uses the same battery as 100 million military trucks. Should be easy to find. I often used two Red Top Optima batteries.

Guyfang

Staff member
After a Week of looking I found these filters. Original number was P131919 (donaldson)
NSN 2940004631362,,aka 70-1251, aka 70-4020

You can get these at:
Waller Sales Co.
(615)672-7266 ask for Don Smith

they run about $60 each, but are the donaldson originals (new) they are working on an aftermarket replacement that will be cheaper if there is enough demand for it.

dons@waller-sales.com
Hope this helps!!

And you can wash the things when they get dirty.

Coley

Thanks. The Napa part numbers linked in on of the relies seem to be the right size.

Next issue, The set does not have the "throttle" or frequency adjust knob that my 802 or 803 has. I looked through the P manual and did not see one. Are these supposed to have those? Also the bolts that hold the filters on are missing and it appears the ones that normally are there are hollow and have a small screw at the top for bleeding. Has anyone tried just running it with normal bolts to hold the filters on and bleeding the system down stream from the filters someplace?

Coley

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks. The Napa part numbers linked in on of the relies seem to be the right size.

Next issue, The set does not have the "throttle" or frequency adjust knob that my 802 or 803 has. I looked through the P manual and did not see one. Are these supposed to have those? Also the bolts that hold the filters on are missing and it appears the ones that normally are there are hollow and have a small screw at the top for bleeding. Has anyone tried just running it with normal bolts to hold the filters on and bleeding the system down stream from the filters someplace?

Coley
You can use just normal bolts to screw the filter canisters on. Its just way easier to use the bleeders.

Open the -24P TM. Go to page, (PDF reader) 38. Look at item 81. The throttle cable is always where you least expect it. Right under the right side, bottom of the control panel.

Whats next?

Coley

Filters on. Found a throttle control and cable at NAPA. Thanks for the guidance.

New issue though.

When I switch the unit to on, the electric fuel pumps will not run. When I turn the battle short on, the fuel pumps run, but the no fuel light comes on. 10 gallons in the tank, but guage readon almost empty. The pumps are running, but not getting fuel into any of the filters?

CF

Guyfang

Staff member
What do you mean by "switch the unit on". Do you mean turn the S1 to the run position? Do you mean star the set up, and let it run? It would help you understand how the set pumps fuel, if you dug into the TM's. I am not at my computer, so can't post excerpts from the TM's, but the long and short of it is this. When the S1 is in the run position, (or aux fuel position) power is sent to the day tank float. The float is what tells the electric fuel pumps to run. If the level in the day tank is above the replenish level, the only way to get the pumps to run is with battle short. Knock on the day tank. Is it empty? Or full? Take a look at the -12 TM, and see how big the gen set fuel tank is. 10 gal fuel is not a lot. Was the tank compleatly empty when you put the fuel in? The last little bit of the tank can not be pumped. So that takes some away from your 10 gal.

What at I would do is put another 10 gal in, and then turn on the battle short switch. Let that baby run a while. Then you need to bleed the system. There is in all probability air in the system. After you have done that, reset your idiot light, "low fuel", and see if it goes out.

Guyfang

Staff member

Coley
It just occurred to me, as I have often opened a set with the filter housings laying in the bottom of the set. Look between the fuel tank and side of the set for the bolts. Also, under the main AC. When ever I needed just one more screw or bolt, sticking my magnet into the black hole of Calcutta often brought up a hand full.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks