• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004 sat and sat and now won't start - already checked the usual, need advanced;)

bimota

Ok, so we go thru MEPs regularly so I asking for advanced help here - likely on fuel solenoids.

We have a MEP-004AAS that ran well three years ago, then the check valve clogged so we fixed that a year ago and it ran fine. Then we pulled it out this winter and no start. Cranks fine, we cleaned the filters in the electric pumps, checked flow to the injector and cleaned the check valve on top of the injector and still no start. Runs on ether but does not even pop by itself or chug - chug after the ether.

So we are thinking fuel solenoids are doing ?? We've not had problems with any of the fuel solenoids in the past so we need some help. I saw someone mentioned clogged return lines but I'd assume that would act like a clogged check valve - start but won't run it and then die off. We are getting zero running from a year ago machine that ran well.

Suggestions? What other fuel issues on the return should be checked? How to test the injector pump?

1800 Diesel

Starting with some basics here- 1st, not sure what you mean about "checked flow to the injector".. Have you verified the day tank was full & a good fuel stream was getting to the IP inlet? Please confirm that with battle short on, the fuel pump is filling the day tank & if so, you verified good gravity flow to the IP inlet. If good flow is confirmed to the IP, then crack each nut on the HP fuel line to each injector & crank engine over & observe flow at each nut. If no fuel is present, check position of stop lever-this should be safety wired in the position towards the generator head end. . (not the radiator end as I originally stated (corrected/edited 26 Jan) ... If fuel is seeping or spraying at each injector then you have a compression issue or slow cranking speed...you probably know all this already, but I wanted to establish a few facts for clarity. .

Kevin

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I let my MEP-003 sit for a very long period of time the fuel shut of solenoid doesn't want to work. I can reach in there and cycle it a few times by hand and it goes back to working again. I guess it just sticks after sitting for a while. You may want to check yours.

bimota

Ok we found it and thank you for the suggestions. Here is what we found after checking everything else...there is a screen at the end of the injection pump that was mostly clogged with gelled fuel. Photos attached. Where the fuel line goes into the injection pump it looks like a fitting but actually is a threaded insert with a screen and check valve assembly. I did not look up the part numbers but the photos show the end of the injection pump pulled off and the two slots and the screened insert and check valve. If this is clogged then even though the injection pump spits a little - it is not enough fuel flow to start and run. After spending a lot of time cleaning ALL the rest of the fuel system we found this and it started right up. Not sure what causes gelled diesel to happen but this was an easy fix once found.

Attachments

rustystud

Ok we found it and thank you for the suggestions. Here is what we found after checking everything else...there is a screen at the end of the injection pump that was mostly clogged with gelled fuel. Photos attached. Where the fuel line goes into the injection pump it looks like a fitting but actually is a threaded insert with a screen and check valve assembly. I did not look up the part numbers but the photos show the end of the injection pump pulled off and the two slots and the screened insert and check valve. If this is clogged then even though the injection pump spits a little - it is not enough fuel flow to start and run. After spending a lot of time cleaning ALL the rest of the fuel system we found this and it started right up. Not sure what causes gelled diesel to happen but this was an easy fix once found.
You need to start using a good diesel additive for storage and a "Bio-cide" . I use "Pri-D " for my long term storage use. Any Marine store will have a good bio-cide.