• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a 005a over voltage after single phase conversion

Jimmie Morgan

Hello. I'm a new poster so please be gentle.
I will start with a brief history:
I was able to get a nice deal on a MEP-005a and trailer that was missing the voltage regulator. I installed a MTS ADVR-054 voltage regulator and a SS500 static exciter. It worked great on three phase 208/120.
I then went for the single phase conversion described in great detail by Sewerzuk and a few other members. Thank you all for your contributions, this was a great piece of work. Anyway, the unit starts and flashes but the unit goes into an over voltage shut down a few seconds after starting. It will recover after the shutdown drops the RPMs and voltages only to shut down again. I suspect this is hard on things and I don't want to make changes until I have a firm handle on the problem.

So, to my way of thinking the changes on the reconnect board are no longer giving my voltage regulator the 208-240 volts it needs. I expect the pin M (X8HH16B) and the pin L (X3J16C) connections I am using are not connected to T1 and T3 as would be needed in the new configuration. This is where I am getting into trouble. The wiring diagrams in the TMs suck. There is no page that I can find that shows the J13 plug (VR Cannon plug) wiring going into the reconnection board. Are these two wires really T1 and T3 or do I have something mixed up? I strongly suspect I am connected to T2 with 1 lead, which of course is not being used in the new configuration.
Both of VR-static exciter and the zigzag mods are quite common and I wonder if anyone else has already figured out what is wrong. Can anybody out there help?
:-(
I am getting the same thing. I just Converted my 005A to 220 Single Phase Like Matt Verley's You-Tube Video Voltage is 140-250 I have bought a ADVR-054 . Can you show me how to install it ??? Thanks .

Jimmie Morgan

I was able to get a nice deal on a MEP-005a and trailer that was missing the voltage regulator. I installed a MTS ADVR-054 voltage regulator and a SS500 static exciter. It worked great on three phase 208/120.
I then went for the single phase conversion described in great detail by Sewerzuk and a few other members. Thank you all for your contributions, this was a great piece of work. Anyway, the unit starts and flashes but the unit goes into an over voltage shut down a few seconds after starting. It will recover after the shutdown drops the RPMs and voltages only to shut down again. I suspect this is hard on things and I don't want to make changes until I have a firm handle on the problem.

So, to my way of thinking the changes on the reconnect board are no longer giving my voltage regulator the 208-240 volts it needs. I expect the pin M (X8HH16B) and the pin L (X3J16C) connections I am using are not connected to T1 and T3 as would be needed in the new configuration. This is where I am getting into trouble. The wiring diagrams in the TMs suck. There is no page that I can find that shows the J13 plug (VR Cannon plug) wiring going into the reconnection board. Are these two wires really T1 and T3 or do I have something mixed up? I strongly suspect I am connected to T2 with 1 lead, which of course is not being used in the new configuration.
Both of VR-static exciter and the zigzag mods are quite common and I wonder if anyone else has already figured out what is wrong. Can anybody out there help?
I need help also on my 005A

Last edited:

Jimmie Morgan

I am using the unmodified harness, of course with the single phase reconnects. I am assuming that TB6 is the reconnection board. I might go about this in a backwards manner. I can use my meter to ring out T1 and T3 and see if i have connections to J13. I will also look at T2 and see if it shows any continuity to my wiring. This will need to wait until tomorrow. I will post my findings. Thank you, You know your way around the TMs a lot better than I ever will.
Following !!!!

Jimmie Morgan

Where do I get this Exciter???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks