• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 004a and 005a "carrier bearing"

BMinor9968

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the "carrier bearing located at the end of genny near the cooling louvers and control cubicle? It's shown in the tm-34 page 295 figure 5-36 #22 carrier/housing and #23 is the actual bearing. I start my genset up about once a month and apply about a 50% load. I started it up last night and everything seemed fine. It was running at 60hrtz and producing power. No warning lamps. Purring like a kitten when all of a sudden I heard this loud screeching sound and shut it down to find that the bearing on the end of the genny was smoking like a freight train. Has anyone ever had this issue and/or know where I can find a replacement bearing? Thanks Bernard

Attachments

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at MEP-005A TM9-6115-465-24P page 164 part 5. Searching NSN show some specifications for the part. I believe that every TM for gen sets has a corresponding parts TM defined by the (P) at the end.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at TM9-6115-464-24P for the 004A July 1992 edition. See figure 41.
I believe the bearing is a 6307-2-RS.
A quick Google shows many suppliers of the bearing.

Last edited:

BMinor9968

I really appreciate the help guys!! Is it difficult to install? Can it be installed without removing the gen end of the genset?Thanks Bernard

Guyfang

Staff member
Perhaps you should download the manuals for your gen set, from the TM section. I like the 005A manuals when using the -12 and -34 TM's. The are a much better quality.

Yes you do not need to compleatly remove the main gen to replace the bearing. Read the -34 manual. It's simple. Remove the loover, remove the bearing cup, remove bearing, replace bearing, reinstall cup.