• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A - Field won't flash

kwest

Kevin: OK that works. After it posted the Wife called me down for lunch. Like I tried to post, yes in my curiousity I just had to see what was inside and how it worked, the speed switch. Don't do what I did there is nothing on the inside of it we can fix or Calibrate it takes a machine that can be set at different RPM's and when the switch reaches those speeds you check if certain circuts open and allows current to flow to that device. To replace my S switch all I did was to loosen the collar and pull it out I had no need for a 1 1/8 inch wrench.
OK enough for now..... I hate to write 3 pages of post and have it disapear in cyber space
Ken

1800 Diesel

Ken,

Thanks for being persistent. Hopefully I won't have to pull the switch since it looks new & the static test pin check shows all good. Still haven't gotten to the K5 relay yet. (Have to figure out how to get into the steel box.)

I'm mainly focused on the missing sleeve in the wiring harness, I believe it was the "I" socket--this would seem to be the likely culprit. I'm considering R&R of the entire wiring harness (which might be a major PIB depending on the number of branch circuits) or, I could clip the local wires close to the connector (say 6-8" off the amphenol) and solder in a replacement connector. Obviously I have to be 100% accurate on labeling the wires to match with the replacement connector. Also, I haven't figured out from the TM which wire # goes with sleeve or pin "I".

Thanks again. I'll keep working this one when I get the time....a long drawn-out process....aua

Kevin

kwest

Kevin: I have found a CD from a place called COMBAT INDEX the web address is www.combatindex.com the CD is was and will become one of the most informative CD's I own. You may already have one, but if you don't it is well worth the $9 or $10 bucks I have spent. If you are interested the particular one is Technical Manuals Army Generators. It explains just about any thing you want to know. The TM's for the MEP004a starts with TM-6115 find that on the list of TM's and the three for the 004a will be like TM9-6115-464-12 and that is general info for battle damage repair it will be below that number, example... TM9=6115-624-BD there is one more for the 004 and that is parts for every part and schematic used on the 004 also the NSN part numbers. I hope this helps
Ken

1800 Diesel

Kevin: I have found a CD from a place called COMBAT INDEX the web address is www.combatindex.com the CD is was and will become one of the most informative CD's I own. You may already have one, but if you don't it is well worth the $9 or $10 bucks I have spent. If you are interested the particular one is Technical Manuals Army Generators. It explains just about any thing you want to know. The TM's for the MEP004a starts with TM-6115 find that on the list of TM's and the three for the 004a will be like TM9-6115-464-12 and that is general info for battle damage repair it will be below that number, example... TM9=6115-624-BD there is one more for the 004 and that is parts for every part and schematic used on the 004 also the NSN part numbers. I hope this helps
Ken
Thanks for the info. I have all the basic manuals but not anything beyond those. I'll check out that site this weekend. :)

Kevin

flydude92

Kevin-Ken,

There seems to be at least 2 different designs of the speed switch. I had my switch apart a few months ago.
Inside the switch at the end of the shaft was a wheel running thru a sensor on a circuit board. I removed the
shaft and sensor wheel, cleaned the shaft and reinstalled it. The circuit board also had some corrosion on
some of the solder joints so I cleaned and resoldered them. I usually take pictures of things I take apart
(in case I can’t remember how to put them back together) but I didn’t in this case.

If this helps I included a picture of the A5 circuit board the K5 relay is on.

A5 Board.jpg

Since anything is possible did you check to make sure the speed switch is turning and the shaft that turns
it is working? You never know.

Brian

1800 Diesel

Kevin-Ken,

There seems to be at least 2 different designs of the speed switch. I had my switch apart a few months ago.
Inside the switch at the end of the shaft was a wheel running thru a sensor on a circuit board. I removed the
shaft and sensor wheel, cleaned the shaft and reinstalled it. The circuit board also had some corrosion on
some of the solder joints so I cleaned and resoldered them. I usually take pictures of things I take apart
(in case I can’t remember how to put them back together) but I didn’t in this case.

If this helps I included a picture of the A5 circuit board the K5 relay is on.

Since anything is possible did you check to make sure the speed switch is turning and the shaft that turns
it is working? You never know.

Brian
Brian,

Thank's for checking in with some good info. :) I have not checked if the speed switch is actually turning. Hope to remove it this weekend for a visual. I assume there's a gear that meshes with the cam gear? Also, I have not gotten into the box where the K5 is. Before I get into that I still need to repair or replace the amphenol (cannon) connector where the sleeve is missing (IIRC, from the "I" position). Possibly that could be the culprit if that cable is related to the field flash.

Thanks again & I'll keep posted as things get done. Have to setup a foundation (and unload) for a container this afternoon, so will be busy with that before I can get back on the gen troubleshooting.

Kevin

kwest

Brian: Yes to my understanding there are 2 One is called an electric or electronic the other is a mechanical. You know about the electronic and the one I have is mechanical it has a shaft that spins 2 weights that get further apart as the rev's increase, which will close or open circuts for different circuts.
Kevin: At the bottom of the shaft on the speed switch is a blade that fits into a groove which spins the shaft and it will not make any difference as to how it is put back in there is only 2 positions that are 180 degrees out and either way will work it only needs to spin
Ken