• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A Fuel Transfer Pumps

hawaiiflyer

Hi All,

I bought a 1978 MEP-004a and just started working on it. It's missing both fuel transfer pumps. I've read that the fuel system is gravity fed from the day tank. Would it be possible to use a standard fuel pump to fill up the day tank? I figure if I added a return line to the main fuel tank between the day tank and the first fuel filter and added a switch to keep the fuel pump on whenever the generator is running the fuel system would become charged, sending any unused fuel back to the main fuel tank. Does this sound logical to everybody or am i out to lunch?

PeterD

If you are going to use a generic 24V pump, why bypass the day tank? You'll likely run in to issues such as too much pressure at the injection pump, the day tank's floats will signal 'no fuel' and shut the system down, etc. I'd just plumb in that generic pump and run with that.

Or...

Gravity feed into the day tank (the inlet to the solenoid!) with a small (say 1 or 2 gallon) tank that you mount above the generator. Just let it gravity feed into the solenoid's inlet (the outlet of the solenoid goes directly into the day tank, the control system then opens and closes the solenoid to keep the day tank filled.)

Or...

If this is only a 'power up' test and won't run for more than five to ten minutes, manually fill the day tank and just run with that fuel?

IOW, don't make this any harder than necessary!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks