• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A Generator

3GT racing

Hello, we are repairing a MEP-004A generator and need some parts. Specifically the shutter control assembly, it was left sitting for a long while and the housing etc is corroded. Any ideas where I can find parts?
TY

leedawg

Hello, we are repairing a MEP-004A generator and need some parts. Specifically the shutter control assembly, it was left sitting for a long while and the housing etc is corroded. Any ideas where I can find parts?
TY
Great unit I have an 005a pretty much the same just two more cylinders and a bit more poop.

Any way my shutter control assembly was also heavy corrosion are you referring to the thermal control that moves the shutters? or the manual lever that does it? If its the thermal control these don't tend to work very well and honestly I just open mine up manually with the lever inside. I just took it all apart and cleaned up all the linkages and pivot points and open the shutters up manually after the set warms up. I attempted to find this part as well and it was hard as I recall its been the better part of a decade since I went through my 005a.

To answer your question though id start with delks and call them up super knowledgeable and very helpful.
https://www.delksarmynavysurplus.com/

If they dont have it then its going to be a lot harder to track down the parts you are lookin for. Have you looked up the NSN numbers in the parts manuals? Id start there as well and plug those into google and see what comes back.

There is also a company called green mountain generators they flip these units all the time they might have a few parts units around that they would be willing to separate what you need but in my experience they want a small fortune for any parts they are selling. I get it, its their business and they buy up a lot of stuff when its available gotta pay for that inventory and storage of it.

Good luck.

3GT racing

Thanks for the info. I contacted Delk's and they are looking into it for me. It is the entire assembly that attaches to the bottom of the radiator, mainly the housings and internal parts. The linkages appear to be ok. Since the housing that the radiator hose attaches to is corroded, by-passing the thermostat control portion is not an option with out a different part.
TY

Guyfang

Staff member
Look at the parts TM and tell me what part or parts, you are looking for in Figure 52. You can NOT order the entire "thing" that is bolted to the bottom of the radiator, new. Some of the parts yes, but not all. The best anyone is going to do, is sell you a take off. Put a picture, or pictures in the thread here. Show us whats wrong. Also know, that all of the parts are also compatible to the MEP-005A, and some are compatible to MEP-006A gen set. So when looking in auction sites, do not limit yourself to just MEP-004A.

Guyfang

Staff member
I looked up both items in the parts manual, and found that the SMR code made both parts a XB Item. Meaning, available through cannibalization or salvage. If the Item can not be procured by cannibalization or salvage, it could be ordered through a special ordering process. But This almost never worked right. So there is almost a 99.99 percent chance that you, (or any other living creature) will never, ever, see a new one. The best you can get is a take off. Both parts fit the MEP-004A and MEP-005A. I found nothing in the internet after an hours looking. I am trying to find an address for a guy in Utah, that had some scrap a while back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks