• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A No output after starting

bohunk

Good morning gentlemen:
I have searched 10 pages of the archives and cannot locate this exact issue. We do a 'normal' start and while holding the switch 'ON' can get correct voltage at the convenience outlets, but as soon as the start switch is released the unit dies. However; we can hold the start switch 'ON', let the unit 'flash' and if we then turn 'ON' the battle short switch and THENrelease the start switch the unit will continue to run and produce voltage. OH... and when we turn battle short 'off' the unit immediately shuts down. I realize engaging battle short over-rides all control protections and is NOT the way to use the unit.

My problem is: Where do I go from here? Is this an AVR issue... OR????????? As the unit will produce power when in battle short mode I am assuming (yea... I know) the mechanical systems are ok. In other words the engine is getting correct oil pressure and the generator head isn't shorted or diodes blown otherwise it couldn't produce power in battle short mode. IF it was an AVR issue I'm assuming (yea... that word again) it wouldn't produce correct voltages regardless of the battle short switches position.

Yes, I do have ALL the TM's. Cannot locate this issue. As stated: Any ideas where to look from here?

Thanks in advance for your input.

bohunk

Gentlemen;

As a follow-up:

Here is what I have been able to locate in the "Trouble shooting" section of the TM.

14. GENERATOR FAILS TO BUILDUP RATED VOLTAGE OR VOLTAGE GOES TO 0 WHEN STARTRUN-
STOP SWITCH IS RELEASED.
Step 1. Defective voltage regulator assembly (figure 3-130).
Test and repair regulator (para. 3-92).
15. GENERATOR NO-LOAD TERMINAL VOLTAGE TOO LOW OR TOO HIGH.
Step 1. Defective voltage regulator (figure 3-130).
Test and repair voltage regulator (para 3-92).
16. GENERATOR TERMINAL VOLTAGE UNSTABLE.
Step 1. Defective voltage regulator (figure 3-130).
Test and repair voltage regulator (para. 3-92)

It would seem that everything is pointing to the 'voltage regulator'. Has anyone experienced the same symptoms and can confirm it is the 'voltage regulator'?

Item next: Are there any voltage regulators available for the MEP-004A? ...and if so where can I obtain one?

Thanks...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks