• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A, No output

Guyfang

Staff member
One of the few parts in the static Excitor that is different from the 60 hertz model, it the transformer, sad to say. So the 400 hertz would be a no go. That brings us to the subject of UOC, Useable On Code. Kris, if you don't know what that is, tell me so I can explain it. It's very important when ordering parts.

Edit: if he has listed it as a 004AAS, that's a 60 hertz with an ASK, (acoustic suppression kit. Did this person post a picture of the data plate?

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

UOC = Used On Code. It show the various equipment that a part is used on. According to the UOC that transformer you are looking for is also used on, of all things, B52 bomber and B1 bomber and other equipment. Just need to find one of those being parted out...lol

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Power Transformer 60HZ 5950-00-600-0840,$124.24 used in the B52 and B1B as well so they still make these, Again AAC J so DLA does not stock it, PN: again use google: 69117; or any of the following: 369B206G01; 40-12487; 40235; 43673; 6191; 72-2609; A132491; C10541; FED119; PE16191; ST-2778. About 4.5inches by just over 3 inches total 5X4.5 inches 208VAC primary(2 legs of the 3 phase with 124VAC secondary with holding about 120-150MA current and is heavier and messes up your leg as you drop that one too. Always was fumble fingers. Nope never saw that one either, just felt it now and then. Change that puppy on a launcher after being just run, real fun.

This is an answer I got from someone in the know. This bad boy is still being made. So its out there. Just need to find it.

Chainbreaker

One of the few parts in the static Excitor that is different from the 60 hertz model, it the transformer, sad to say. So the 400 hertz would be a no go. That brings us to the subject of UOC, Useable On Code. Kris, if you don't know what that is, tell me so I can explain it. It's very important when ordering parts.

Edit: if he has listed it as a 004AAS, that's a 60 hertz with an ASK, (acoustic suppression kit. Did this person post a picture of the data plate?
Yes there is a picture of the dataplate, on it it lists the weight of both the 60HZ and 400HZ units. The seller listing it says its a 400 HZ unit. So it appears that it was made in both versions. However, the unit looks very weathered for a 1988 vintage unit. Pictures with the doors open show a box (static exciter?) with lots of rust and corrosion on top by the wire harness connectors. If water leaked down inside the box it is probably toast.

Guy not sure if you can view this from Germany but here is link: https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/hvo/d/generator/6936293863.html

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes there is a picture of the dataplate, on it it lists the weight of both the 60HZ and 400HZ units. The seller listing it says its a 400 HZ unit. So it appears that it was made in both versions. However, the unit looks very weathered for a 1988 vintage unit. Pictures with the doors open show a box (static exciter?) with lots of rust and corrosion on top by the wire harness connectors. If water leaked down inside the box it is probably toast.

Guy not sure if you can view this from Germany but here is link: https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/hvo/d/generator/6936293863.html
Heres the deal.

The data plate on the ASK, (Acoustic Suppression Kit) lists the unit as a MEP-004AAK. I will list the three models of the 15 KW.
1. MEP-004A Utility, (no gov system) 50/60 hertz, (same set Kris has)
2. MEP-103A Precise Power, (Electric gov system) 50/60 hertz
3. MEP-113A Precise Power, (Electric gov system) 400 hertz

There should have been (In my mind) three more models, do to the addition of the ASK to some of the sets, but that's another story.

By looking at the pictures, its definitely NOT a MEP-004A. It has the electronic gov and actuator upgrade that makes it a precise set. 50/60 or 400 hertz? He says its a MEP-113A. Only way to tell is to ask him for a picture of the Control panel, specifically the Volt meter, and Hertz meter. Lots of good parts there. A5 card? A4 card? The entire SP/relay box? Starter, lots of good stuff. The static exciter might be good, it would only be toast if someone ran it wet, or of it had a failure like the set Kris has. But like I posted before, the T1, (I think that's the T1, without looking) is different between the two models. But would I send him a mail asking for more pictures? You bet! Might also ask him if he has a 50/60 hertz set, or static exciter.

Guyfang

Staff member
UOC

Usable on code. Got to put on my instructors hat again.
When ordering parts, you have to keep in mind almost all equipment has several different models. So lets use the current case as a platform to explain how to ALWAYS get the right part. We know we need to get a transformer for Kris's MEP-004A. So we pull out the trusty TM 9-6115-464-24P, and thumb through it. Wallah! we find an exploded picture of the Static exciter. Figure 34, item 29, (hope the highlighter shows).
View attachment Scan_0002.pdf
Then we turn a few pages until we find the written info.
View attachment Scan_0003.pdf
We look at item 29, and see there are TWO item 29's. So what part 29 do we need? To the right we see the Column UOC. Bells and lights should be going off in your head now. "warning Will Robertson, warning". If you are not sure of just what model you have, or what you THINK you have, (like the Craigs list gen set!) then look at the NSN on the data plate. Then look at the NSN on the TM cover. Match the NSN to the Model number, in this case MEP-004A.
View attachment Scan_0001.pdf
Then thumb through the front few pages until you see a page like this:
View attachment Scan_0004.pdf
Find the model number of your set, and the UOC is listed to the left. There is a code for the MEP-004A. Its CLD. BUT WAIT! Lower down, is a UOC for the MEP-004A again. UOC of CZL. Its for gen sets between the two Serial numbers! Yes, There were gen sets made by another manufacture. They have the serial numbers that start with KZ00001 thru Z01226. So now trudge back to look at your gen set serial number, to see if its in that range. We also know that the Utility and Precise 50/60 sets are the same except that one has a electric gov and actuator, and one doesn't. So we can use that models part also. So the MEP-00103A, UOC of CLF, is also a part we can use.

Then we go back to the page with the tech info in the parts book, and see, to the right of the top Item 29, the UOC codes CLD, CLF and CZL listed for the transformer. NSN 5950-00-600-0840, part number 72-2609 (or any of the other part numbers I listed earlier.)

This may all sound like BS, until you try buying a part for hundreds of dollars, and order the wrong one. I saw it happen hundreds of times in the army. No big deal, order another one. But for you all, its a big deal.

I once found a unit with a MEP-806A 60 KW gen set that would not produce power, (according to the unit). For two years, they tried to fix it. Replaced the main gen twice. At 12,500 bucks a crack. The original, and two new main gens. 37,500 bucks. Two years of fooling with it. Why didn't it work? The ordered a 400 hertz main gen, for a 50/60 hertz gen set. The digital controls could not read the 416 volts and 400 hertz signals. Only 120/208, 50/60 hertz. So if the controls show no output, there is no voltage. Had someone licked the output terminals, that would have quickly told them something wasn't right!

All because the mechanics did not read or see the UOC.

KLChurch

Yes the pages are good to read and I can see that I got a lot of studying to do. I will try to consume this with my limited brain cells.
Is there a site even it cost a little more that tells you it is stock and available kind of like amazon?
I will be putting a want add on the forem
Kris

Guyfang

Staff member
Some of the parts web pages do list if its in stock. Not all. If I lived on that side of the water, I would start calling.

Once you know to look, most of this stuff comes easy. I was a nut about printed TM's I hated it when the Army went to PDF files. I kept my books. When I had nothing better to do, I went through my books and high lighted all the parts for my UOC 400 hertz models. That was 90% of my work the whole time I was in. But my Old crusty CW3 had to beat it into my head at the beginning.

KLChurch

ok I will start calling. But last time I called for a different part they didn't know if they could get it but it was on their web site and would get back to me and then they emailed me back two days later (no bueno).
This kind of service is like "before Amazon". How they keep in business is beyond me. Da!!!!!!!!
Kris

Chainbreaker

Heres the deal.

The data plate on the ASK, (Acoustic Suppression Kit) lists the unit as a MEP-004AAK. I will list the three models of the 15 KW.
1. MEP-004A Utility, (no gov system) 50/60 hertz, (same set Kris has)
2. MEP-103A Precise Power, (Electric gov system) 50/60 hertz
3. MEP-113A Precise Power, (Electric gov system) 400 hertz

There should have been (In my mind) three more models, do to the addition of the ASK to some of the sets, but that's another story.

By looking at the pictures, its definitely NOT a MEP-004A. It has the electronic gov and actuator upgrade that makes it a precise set. 50/60 or 400 hertz? He says its a MEP-113A. Only way to tell is to ask him for a picture of the Control panel, specifically the Volt meter, and Hertz meter. Lots of good parts there. A5 card? A4 card? The entire SP/relay box? Starter, lots of good stuff. The static exciter might be good, it would only be toast if someone ran it wet, or of it had a failure like the set Kris has. But like I posted before, the T1, (I think that's the T1, without looking) is different between the two models. But would I send him a mail asking for more pictures? You bet! Might also ask him if he has a 50/60 hertz set, or static exciter.
OK, I think I understand what might have happened. Could be the ASK kit with the MEP-004A designation was retrofitted to his MEP-113A precision unit. Looking at the pictures I see there is another dataplate placard mounted down low inside the engine area that I cant read nor zoom up on. Anyway, I think its definitely a no-go for Kris, since he's only looking for the transformer. Though perhaps a potential source of parts for someone else in need of the good parts you highlighted.

Chainbreaker

I was looking at some stuff on eBay and literally stumbled across a NEW excitation box for a MEP-006 eBay heading "MEP 006,Military Generator,Exciter Box,power,voltage,Regulator,MV,part,60 kw". It had the following data stenciled on the outside of the box: Excitation System Assembly | 50/60 HZ 30554-70-1367 | MFG Precision Electronics B483 | P/N 5575 | 0843

Could it be that it utilizes the same Transformer inside or that the box is a direct swap? Just throwing this out there...

Zed254

This kind of service is like "before Amazon". How they keep in business is beyond me. Da!!!!!!!!
Kris
VERY hard to find parts for old military equipment. And when they have the part you (or at least I...) cannot afford it!!!

I've been searching and can't find squat. However, you can pop an email to these guys......http://www.precisionelect.com/styles_cap.htm

Guy found that it's a current part, so they may be able to put one together for you.

KLChurch

Just got a quote frome ASAp semiconductors $2450.00
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I know how they can stay in business
Kris

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I was looking at some stuff on eBay and literally stumbled across a NEW excitation box for a MEP-006 eBay heading "MEP 006,Military Generator,Exciter Box,power,voltage,Regulator,MV,part,60 kw". It had the following data stenciled on the outside of the box: Excitation System Assembly | 50/60 HZ 30554-70-1367 | MFG Precision Electronics B483 | P/N 5575 | 0843

Could it be that it utilizes the same Transformer inside or that the box is a direct swap? Just throwing this out there...

Good idea. Will take a look see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks