• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a not staying runing

tony1224

hello I have a MEP-004 that start but will only run for about 2 min.here is where I'm
Check the day tank and it does not have any fuel.I turn on the battle switch on and the pump goes on and fuel will come out at the injection pump but no fuel and the day tank.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you haven't downloaded the manuals before, do it now from the TM forum here in SS. Go to troubleshooting. You need to see why the replenish circuit is not working. The fuel replenish circuit is controlled by the float switch in the day tank.

Back from a short break. You haven't given us enough info.

Is this set new to you? Have you ever seen it run right?

Did the idiot lights, (fault indicator lights) come on, for LOW FUEL?

When you put the S2, (start switch) in the run position, do you hear the electric fuel pumps running real fast?

When you put the S2 in the run position and the S7, (battle short switch) in the UP position, do you hear the electric fuel pumps running real fast?

Are you running from the gen set fuel tank? Or the Auxiliary fuel option?

Is the Fuel selector switch in the right position?

Please answer these questions, so I have a place we can start troubleshooting from.

Guy

Last edited:

tony1224

If you haven't downloaded the manuals before, do it now from the TM forum here in SS. Go to troubleshooting. You need to see why the replenish circuit is not working. The fuel replenish circuit is controlled by the float switch in the day tank.

Back from a short break. You haven't given us enough info.

Is this set new to you? Have you ever seen it run right?

Did the idiot lights, (fault indicator lights) come on, for LOW FUEL?

When you put the S2, (start switch) in the run position, do you hear the electric fuel pumps running real fast?

When you put the S2 in the run position and the S7, (battle short switch) in the UP position, do you hear the electric fuel pumps running real fast?

Are you running from the gen set fuel tank? Or the Auxiliary fuel option?

Is the Fuel selector switch in the right position?

Please answer these questions, so I have a place we can start troubleshooting from.

Guy
i have this gen for a long time.never had an issue with it.The fault light is not on,i'm using the tank in the generator and the switch is in the right position.when i have the S2 un the run position I don't hear the pump, now S2 in run and S7 on then the pump comes on real fast, I'm not getting fuel in the day tank when I have S2 and S7 on ,but i do have fuel coming out at the hose for the injection pump.I will check this morning the float in the day tank and if any power getting to the tank

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
A simple way to check the fuel float is to unscrew the canon plug. Take the float out. Hook the canon plug back up. Push both floats, (if it has two floats on the shaft) up, all the way. turn on S2, to the run position (it helps to have someone to help). If you have two floats, move the top one down the shaft. You should get the electric fuel pumps to come on. If the pumps do not come on, you could have a switch problem. Have to check it.

Remove the cannon plug. get your assistent. Get a multimeter. Assistant holds the fluid level switch. You measure between the pins A&B in the canon plug, on the float switch. With the float up, the contacts should be open, no continuity. Assistant moves the float down, the contacts should close, and you should have continuity. That's what turns on the fuel pumps.

Try that

tony1224

A simple way to check the fuel float is to unscrew the canon plug. Take the float out. Hook the canon plug back up. Push both floats, (if it has two floats on the shaft) up, all the way. turn on S2, to the run position (it helps to have someone to help). If you have two floats, move the top one down the shaft. You should get the electric fuel pumps to come on. If the pumps do not come on, you could have a switch problem. Have to check it.

Remove the cannon plug. get your assistent. Get a multimeter. Assistant holds the fluid level switch. You measure between the pins A&B in the canon plug, on the float switch. With the float up, the contacts should be open, no continuity. Assistant moves the float down, the contacts should close, and you should have continuity. That's what turns on the fuel pumps.

Try that
The pump is working,and the day tank is full of fuel
Sometime the engine start and goes out pretty quick and sometime will state on for about 5 minute.right before it quit i have check for power at the injection pump and i have power there also I can hear the electric fuel pump working,now the oil gauge is not reading oil pressure I did put a manual gauge and the reading is 80 psi,also my temperature gauge also not reading and I have knworest that the fuel gauge it open all the way past the full reading like it has some kind of short

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

I'm not familiar with the MEP-004 but if you are seeing multiple gauges with intermittent failures I would be sure to check ALL grounds (chassis ground straps, control box grounds, etc.) just to eliminate an intermittent ground as a potential culprit. I'm sure Guy will have more tests and suggestions.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yeah, sounds like if you find the problem with the gages, it just might clean up your running problem. Start with the neg ground clamp and go from there.

With the MEP-004A, often, it's the canon plugs to the special relay box. It never hurts to check them all on the gen set. And make sure that the relay boxes, all of them, are bolted down. Lots of guys only secured the canon plugs to the boxes, and never screwed the mounting bolts back in. To lazy. Well, that makes grounding the boxes, a problem.