• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004a rebuild/refresh

Didn't see the TM's for a MEP-004a at the top of the forum. Anyone have a link to download them?

Through someone at work that knew I was into military stuff, I picked up a MEP-004a with ASK on a trailer for $750 because he was about to scrap it and that's about what he would get scrapping it out. He told me the motor was locked up on it and he didn't feel like putting anymore money into it.

I have not messed with it yet. It appears that the oil pan has been off at least once and put back on using some RTV to seal it up. The guy I got the unit from said his neighbor worked on these units in the army back in the day and he said that was a sign that it had issues and it would cost this much to start replacing things, etc. etc.

At any rate, my neighbor wanted the trailer off of it for $500 so he could mount a fuel pod on there. I don't particularly need the trailer since I already have a MEP-003a mounted on a M101a1 trailer (I put the generator on the trailer myself). So now I'm $250 into a MEP-004a with ASK and a "blown motor."

I tracked down a rebuilt D198ER on ebay and it should arrive on a big truck tomorrow at the shop. We'll see if it's everything I expected when I purchased it, but it comes with all of the accessories (IP, filter housings, alternator, water pump, etc.) and I got it, with shipping, for about as much as it would cost me to rebuild the one on the generator already. I know it's a little premature to buy a new motor before checking out the function of the other one, but I can install the new one and KNOW that I shouldn't have to worry about it ever again. Plus, I can sell off the accessories from the one I take out and recoup a good bit of the money and then rebuild the basic motor at my convenience in a heated shop this winter...

So right now I still need to separate the generator from the trailer (I have a 3 ton gantry), take apart the ASK, and get to wrenching on the motor. The ASK is a bit rusty in some spots, so I'll probably have to replace some of the framework holding it together. No big deal there.

The plan is to pour a pad behind my house, fix up this generator, and mount it on the pad. I'll then convert it to single phase and hardwire it to the house with the normal manual startup procedure. The MEP-003a would run most of my house, but the MEP-004a should run the WHOLE house. Also, beside the 004a, I plan to mount my 275 gallon fuel tank and get it filled with off-road diesel and a fuel pump so I can either feed the generator straight off of that tank or fill up a tractor and such with the off-road diesel.

Now to the question section.

Parts of the ASK's insulation are falling apart on the inside. What's a suitable replacement for the foamy stuff that's in there?

Should I simply remove the ASK completely if it's in somewhat rough shape? I'm assuming I'd rather have the ASK since I'm mounting it right next to my house...

I understand that with the ASK, I'd need to remove snow off of it before running it. Is there a way around this such as a common way to easily cover and uncover it? Once again, would it be better to just remove the ASK?

I'm looking for the TM's. I did some google searching today and downloaded 5 files that said they were for the MEP-004a, but they were all corrupted. I didn't see the proper files in the TM section at the top of the forum.

Yes, I know this thread is worthless without pics. I'll work on it after the rain stops.

Last edited:

ETN550

The GL just finished bidding about 100 complete drop in engines for the MEP004. They came out of the Lochbourne center in Columbus Ohio. They went for 500 - 750+ each. Maybe some will be reselling them shortly. They were either A1 or A4 condition, never run fresh total rebuild.

The 1/2 inch or 1 inch closed cell rubber foam used for pipe and HVAC insulation is good for sound damping. It does not soak up moisture. Look for it at surplus foam and fabric outlets. I buy it there by the square yard and it is very low cost compared to retail. Do not use the slippery plastic type. Use the softer black rubber with the skin on it. 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive is great for gluing it down.

Last edited:
Got the rebuild you see above for $600 rebuilt in OSMS Oregon in April 2009. With shipping at $350, I've got $1300 into this generator so far but it should be practically brand new once I fire it up :)

Still less than I paid for my MEP-003a sight unseen from GL. Just glad that one worked out to be a strong runner...

Triple Jim

I was able to open and view them with a generic PDF file viewer. Adobe Acrobat shouldn't have any trouble, but I don't have a copy to try it.

Both Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader 10.x tell me that the files are corrupted and cannot be opened. I've never had any trouble opening other downloaded files like that. Any chance someone could email them to me at juddspaintballs@gmail.com?

I was outside fiddling with the generator getting the ASK off. It's in a bit rougher shape than I originally thought and I'm missing the front tower that covers the exhaust/radiator area. The whole back half of the top panel is rusted pretty badly and would require a lot of work to fix it. Also, two of the cams that hold the panels together will not budge. I will probably have to cut the cams with a cut off wheel. At this point, I may just completely remove the ASK for good and build a shelter around the whole generator once I place it on a pad. I think that repairing the ASK would be more work than useful and I don't mind if my house generator doesn't look military.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

dependable

Nice project, perhaps you can save parts of the ASK that are harder to fabricate and used rusted ones as templates. And I know you will outfit your helper with hearing protection.

I got all of the ASK off. It's in pretty rough shape and I did have to cut two of the cams that hold it together. If I decide to reuse the ASK, I'll fabricate a bolt on tab in those places, but at this point I'm fairly certain I'm not putting the ASK back on. I'll build a sheet steel housing much like the non-ASK units or perhaps even more like a commercial unit. Heck, I could just build a small generator shed since it's going to be permanently mounted on a concrete slab. If I put it in a shed, what provisions do I need to make for it? I know I need ventilation for air in and air out, and an exhaust stack to get that out of the shed as well. I'll either need to make the shed big enough to work on the unit from all sides or make the sides of the shed open as well.

I may bolt the battery cables together and plug my deuce into the slave port of the generator and see if I can fire it up. I'm going to swap motors no matter what the result. I have a fresh rebuild from the Oregon National Guard with the specs from machining and dyno sheet, so I practically have a brand new motor. I'd rather have a brand new motor on an emergency backup generator and I can rebuild the take-off on my own time in a garage.

It might be the easiest and cheapest option to rebuild the ASK...and quietest. I'll reconsider this option. I know I basically need to rebuild the entire top of it, fabricate the front tower, and fix a couple other problem areas. I also need to put new sound insulation inside (thanks for the tip ETN550).

dependable

Have thought about generator sheds as well. The removable sides verses big enough to work in. Removable sides allows for less expensive construction and probably no permit issues..(if you live in one of those communities) But if you are looking for a reason for a new shed. !!! Been thinking I need to rodent proof any genset box I build around here.

Thought about it rebuilding the ASK and I think it would be fairly easy. I can build a frame for the entire top with square tubing and I already have a sheet of 1/8" that I can use for the flat parts. The ASK would be the easiest fix and permanent solution...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks