• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A recovery, smooooooth....

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Setting voltage up to 240 should not make outlet put out 135 140. check the voltage at the connection lugs. your gauge could be off that much.

andytk5

You're saying to check the voltage at the 4 lugs (L0-L3)?

Which guage did you suspect being off, the guage in the panel on the set or my voltmeter?

Thanks

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
either could be off but the unit one is not very reliable. just good to double check. I checked my 005 today and it was putting out 125 at utility outlet with it set at 240. I run mine at 220 all the time as I feed a building that is not 3 phase with that unit. and get 120 ish out of other legs no problem.

andytk5

either could be off but the unit one is not very reliable. just good to double check. I checked my 005 today and it was putting out 125 at utility outlet with it set at 240. I run mine at 220 all the time as I feed a building that is not 3 phase with that unit. and get 120 ish out of other legs no problem.
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check this more when I get back in town. I will be doing the TS soon as wel as the gen plug on the side. Need to swap out the plug on the genset to a newer type of plug.

Not sure yet what the thermal watt converter does but since mine is leaking out behind the control panel Id like to know if that would throw off readings or outputs.

andytk5

I'm figuring the the wiring/conduit, the generator plug in box, and mounting the transfer switch and gathering up the materials to do most of the work besides the TS install. I'll have a elec friend do that.

I am having a hard time finding a replacement plug for the generator that attaches to the lugs. Maybe I need to make a custom one? Also hard to find 100 amp cables to run from the gen to the outside plug.

WizardBlack

I'm figuring the the wiring/conduit, the generator plug in box, and mounting the transfer switch and gathering up the materials to do most of the work besides the TS install. I'll have a elec friend do that.

I am having a hard time finding a replacement plug for the generator that attaches to the lugs. Maybe I need to make a custom one? Also hard to find 100 amp cables to run from the gen to the outside plug.
100A cable? Won't welding cable work sufficiently for that? You can buy it by the foot from a tractor supply store or some big box stores.

Isaac-1

If looking for multiconductor cables that will handle 100 amps, you will likely need to look at tray cable, not at SO cord, I think the largest SO cord is 2 AWG and is rated at most 95 amps by the NEC.

Ike

p.s. be aware even short lengths of something like #1 tray cable is HEAVY, I used some 1/0 3 conductors + ground tray cable a couple of years ago, I think 15 or so feet weighed in close to 80 pounds.

Last edited:

andytk5

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking at the gen being 15kw I might be able to use the cables mentioned in the previous post. The more I look into this it seems an interlock kit would be the best route since I want to energize my entire panel and if I want to do some sort of grid tie solar system later I won't have much invested compared to a transfer switch. The run I need to make with the generator c ord outside is less than 50' if that helps at all.

Isaac-1

Just off the top of my head, it seems 15KW should be in the 70 amp range at 120/240V single phase, if so 2/4 SO cord should work for you, maybe even 4/4 SO cord. You might also check out ebay for 75 - 100 amp pin and sleeve connector set that will work for you.

Ike

andytk5

Just off the top of my head, it seems 15KW should be in the 70 amp range at 120/240V single phase, if so 2/4 SO cord should work for you, maybe even 4/4 SO cord. You might also check out ebay for 75 - 100 amp pin and sleeve connector set that will work for you.

Ike
Thanks Ike, will do. Much appreciated!

andytk5

Hoping to use some old shorepower cords my old man has laying around and they may even be the 4 pin just like my 004a outlet plug. I did find some stuff on ebay though, thanks Ike. We' see what I scrounge up.

andytk5

OK time to order some stuff.. Firguring the 70-75 amp cable like these towards the bottom

http://www.stayonline.com/sto-600-volt-bulk-wire.aspx

or http://www.wireandcabletogo.com/Por.../SOOW/4-3-SOOW-Portable-Cord-600V-Non-UL.html

Also still trying to track down the inlet box that's over 50 amps. Hold I use the same cable as the so cable for the inside run through the conduit to the elec panel?

maybe a perm inlet?

http://www.peakpowertools.com/Gentran-Junction-Box-p/agt40075.htm

Definitely using the interlock kit with all of this.

Any idea if I need to replace that thermal watt converter for everthing to operate smoothly?

Thanks!

Last edited:

andytk5

OK guys sorry for the delay! I finally have my power cord 60'4/3 SOOW, I am using an outside box with cable connectors for a semi perm install. I'll run a solid copper wire from the gen ground to the inlet box that contiues to the panel setup.

I am using SER 4 conductor wire from the inlet box to the switch/panel.

Looking to have a manual 200 amp switch to toggle between service and generator. I would do a more permanet panel install but I want to take this setup if we move.

Attachments

andytk5

Ok I actually found and interlock kit that should work for my older panel. The electrician is coming in the morning to do the panel work.

I also finished the single phase conversion as shown by sewerzuk (very much appreciate that sir!) today. I will double check my wiring and connections tomorrow. I did have to lengthen the wire that is moved from T8 to T3 with a small shot of 14guage wire. I used a pre-made 4gauge battery cable from Advanced Auto since it was $4.70..

I'll post some pictures of everything tomorrow.:D

Last edited:

andytk5

Ok, here are some pics of the install. Just need to connect the leads to the generator but I want to run it and test everything before hooking it to the house. Only real questions are the grounding wire connection. I purchased an 8' ground rod, tamped it in, and connected the generator trailer strap to it. I have the solid copper wire coming from my junction box (where the SER 4 conductor cable connects to the ground on the house panel) and is continuing the ground out to the generator thru the bare copper wire.

Question: Do I just connect the bare copper to the ground rod (with a clamp) which is connected to the generator frame with a strap? Or is there another connection to be made?

In the picture the SO cord has the blk/wht as hots, the grn is neutral, bare copper is ground. I know sewerzuk's mod has the L1,L3 as hots, L0 neutral, L2 unused.
Thanks!

Pics

Attachments

jbk

if not connected to your house connect to the ground rod at the gen,. if you connect to your house remove ground rod connection at the gen. unstrap the neutral/ground bond on the gen. and ground to the house ground rod.

Last edited:

andytk5

JBK - "if not connected to your house connect to the ground rod at the gen,. if you connect to your house remove ground rod connection at the gen. unstrap the neutral/ground bond on the gen. and ground to the house ground rod."

Thank you for the replÿ. After more reading I came across a good diagram of what I believe you were explaning to me. Seems a double ground situation would have occured the previous way so I will be unbonding that strap from the neutral like you said. I guess my only question would be do I use the bare copper to ground the generator trailer to the house ground circuit?

These pics may help show the rest of the details of the wiring install.

1st pic - the house panel you can see the generator SER cable coming in and looping in the lower middle.

That cable is 4 conductor with a solid black wire, black w/white stripe wire, bare aluminum, and black with red stripe wire.

2nd-3rd pics - The bare aluminum and the black with white stripe are bonded together here on the plate. These are always connected and never switched.

4th pic - the junction box in the shed that joins the SOOW 3 conductor cord and bare copper ground with the 4 conductor SER cable running to the house panel.

Here you see the bare copper wire joined to bare aluminum.
White SOOW wire joined to Black w/White stripe SER wire.
Black SOOW wire joined to all Black SER wire.
Green SOOW (w/elec tape)wire joined to Black and Red SER wire

5th pic - Also at the generator breaker you can see my all Black SER wire and Black w/Red stripe wires as my hot legs to the panel.

6th pic - shows the diagram I was referencing earlier in the post.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks