• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 004A RPMs too low fuel pressure problem - help!

Madderoftime

I have a MEP 004a and the RPMs don't get high enough to keep the Hz up. Max speed the Hz are at 49. That is the max. The Hz adjustment does nothing. I can move the throttle in almost all the way and the RPMs don't change. It's like the fuel pressure is too low. I have no idea how the day tank works. Tested the pumps - lots of flow - filters all good. From pre the fuel solenoid all good. After that the fuel is just a trickle at best. Any ideas?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Did you change all the fuel filters and flush all the lines? Did you make sure the return is clear? Was it working before you changed it to single phase?

Madderoftime

Yes, yes, yes, RPMs the same. The voltage and freq has always been an issue on this and like I said I was advised it just needed a load. Um. No. LOL
I found a needle valve on the injector pump that increased the RPMs but it still is lacking in voltage and the freq knob does nothing. Freq is up to 60 now but steady as I am after a few shots of whisky. 60-70 jumping around.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You need to replace the fuel filters and flush all lines. You can get away with the old filters in a truck usually not so much in a generator. Freq is usually adjusted via rpm if I recall correctly the knob won't do anything on the 15k gen. You need a load for steady frequency not to get the correct voltage and frequency. The voltage knob should allow for some adjustment with the engine running correctly. Get new filters and fuel in it and then go from there.

Madderoftime

You need to replace the fuel filters and flush all lines. You can get away with the old filters in a truck usually not so much in a generator. Freq is usually adjusted via rpm if I recall correctly the knob won't do anything on the 15k gen. You need a load for steady frequency not to get the correct voltage and frequency. The voltage knob should allow for some adjustment with the engine running correctly. Get new filters and fuel in it and then go from there.
New filters, flushed system, just didn't know of the adjustment on the injector pump. One of the fuel pumps also had a bad connection for fixed that. It runs good but still seems a bit low on voltage. it is set with the connection board on 240/416 and I am getting 205/395 about. I was trying that because with 240 my welder is a single phase 230 model. Should be able to adjust down a bit for that. However, I am not getting up to that level yet. Should be able to pull 45 amps with one leg at 230 right? It is not like I am going constant. Stick welding with DC.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It is meant for 120/208 240/416 but should adjust up close to 240 in the lower setting. The screw valve thing top of pump head I think is a shutoff of some sort the manuals don't seem to mention it. 45x230 is 10500 watts I don't see that happening not on just one leg. If you massively overload the unit, the overload protection may not have time to kick in before you damage the gen. I know I did it. I was at 180% of max current I smelled smoke and looked at the meter it was too late the damage was done. I didn't realize the overload wasn't a simple breaker trip.

Madderoftime

It is meant for 120/208 240/416 but should adjust up close to 240 in the lower setting. The screw valve thing top of pump head I think is a shutoff of some sort the manuals don't seem to mention it. 45x230 is 10500 watts I don't see that happening not on just one leg. If you massively overload the unit, the overload protection may not have time to kick in before you damage the gen. I know I did it. I was at 180% of max current I smelled smoke and looked at the meter it was too late the damage was done. I didn't realize the overload wasn't a simple breaker trip.
Crud so I do have to get that single phase conversion to work. My welder will not run on 208 2 phase. Too bad I don't have a simple DC buzz-box that runs on 3 phase. Welding 7018 and I like that on DC.

Isaac-1

When you say screw valve thing on the pump head, are you referring to the knurled knob there? If so that is the injection pump stability control knob. As to the rest with voltages, it would help if you told us exactly what you have that you are trying to power

Madderoftime

When you say screw valve thing on the pump head, are you referring to the knurled knob there? If so that is the injection pump stability control knob. As to the rest with voltages, it would help if you told us exactly what you have that you are trying to power
Yes that would be it. So it runs good and thanks to http://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?2382-captain for leading to the solution I have my welder working. :) Yay!!!