• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A water separator parts

steelman101

When removing the water separator I found the trash in the bottom contained some leaf parts. What is the silver barrel that screws up the center in lieu of a standard filter?
Also how tight do you screw it up?Nov 14 2022 004.jpg

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Steelman,

That IS a filter. Its to stop the water from passing farther on in the system. There is only the Primary, the Secondary and the Water Separator. Have you downloaded the TM's? The parts -24P TM has a picture and description.

I screwed it up hand tight. Good hand tight, but not Man Mountain Dean tight.

steelman101

Steelman,

That IS a filter. Its to stop the water from passing farther on in the system. There is only the Primary, the Secondary and the Water Separator. Have you downloaded the TM's? The parts -24P TM has a picture and description.

I screwed it up hand tight. Good hand tight, but not Man Mountain Dean tight.
I bought what I thought was a good TM but alas was lacking.
I have toured the web but do not understand how to navigate all the military jargon.
I did not understand how the trash I found made it's way to the separator.
I just got it and the previous owner was not really clear on what he had done for PM and it appears, nothing much.
Thanks for the info.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought what I thought was a good TM but alas was lacking.
I have toured the web but do not understand how to navigate all the military jargon.
I did not understand how the trash I found made it's way to the separator.
I just got it and the previous owner was not really clear on what he had done for PM and it appears, nothing much.
Thanks for the info.
You can't really PAY for this set of TM's but they are available.
Link below:

Guyfang

Staff member
Why would you pay for TM's? They are free. Here in the forum and on line.

Tell me what you do not understand about TM's. Or better yet, open the -24P, look for the fuel system and you tell me what you need for filters. We can look at what you find and tell you what it should be, and if you got it right. Practice makes perfect.

Trash can get that far in the system only when the filters are not changed (damaged), or when they are not installed. Thats the only way.

Tell us what you have. Pictures are also good. Tell us what it will and will not do. And down load the TM's listed in the above message.

steelman101

Thanks for the TM's but I'am looking for the best way to remove the plastic fuel tank which has a hose leaking on the top.
It looks like a beast.
Thanks for the info.

steelman101

Guyfang,
I have been all over looking for the best way to get it out.
It appears that it will have to come out the rear of the unit?
All the TM's just show the plastic tank, but don't show the 3" between the engine and the tank.
But as my brother always says" Piece of Cake"
Love the unit, and the beat goes on.

Guyfang

Staff member
Of course it only comes out of the rear. Simply unhook everything that goes to the tank. Mark everything, so there is no way to screw it up when putting it back in. Pull the back panel. Do drain the fuel out of the tank from the petcock in the rear of the set. Then take it out. We never needed more then 45 min, with two people doing the job. And that would have been two new guys. This is not as hard as you are making it in your head. I promise.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guyfang,
I have been all over looking for the best way to get it out.
It appears that it will have to come out the rear of the unit?
All the TM's just show the plastic tank, but don't show the 3" between the engine and the tank.
But as my brother always says" Piece of Cake"
Love the unit, and the beat goes on.
And - these days - with a little help from your camera phone - snap a dozen pictures. That way as you put it back together, you have a reference point. Those pictures will help you if you take a day or two to reassemble the tank and connections. @Guyfang definitely has you pointed off in the right direction!

The other thing you can do is write up your adventure on how to R & R the tank in your MEP-004 using those pictures. That will help the next guy with the problem you encountered ;-) and make your first official contribution to the site.

Guyfang

Staff member
Use a good cleaner to get all the crap out of the tank, and do not be surprised if a fuel level float or two is banging around in there. As a matter of fact, you never know what you will find in and around the sides of the tank.

steelman101

Good Morning,
After getting fuel filter gaskets and internal parts for the pictured canister I sent earlier it will not seal as it is the wrong one.
I have been searching for the right one, which is shorter by about an inch as shown on the right.
Any suggestions.

Attachments

Ray70

I have good news! I do have the canister housing that you need. #6 in the image Guy posted.
Looking at the TM, the primary and secondary filter both appear to utilize the same canister and I matched it up to the canister on my 005A
It is in virtually brand new condition other than a few chips in the paint, but otherwise perfect inside and out.
3 1/2" OD. , 8" from the top lit to the taper at the base and 9 1/4" from the lip to the flat of the base where the drain cock screws in.

As an alternative option, I make spin on filter adapters that will convert your existing Fram bases to more modern spin on filters and water separators.
They will accept virtually any filter or water separator with a 1"- 14 center thread and will bolt directly to your existing brackets using all the original mounting hardware, lines and fittings. There is nothing else needed except the actual filters.

If interested in either option just let me know.
I'm not sure you can send a PM yet, I don't think you have enough seat time yet, so you can reply here if interested and I will send you a PM instead.

steelman101

Roy 70,
I would like to catch up with you to discuss.
Send me a PM was about to take the one on there to a machine shop and get about 1" trimmed off.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks