• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A - What size electric motor will it start

Blazer8750

I am building a shop at my house and moving my machines from the rental location which has 3 phase. My house does not have 3 phase and I do not want to purchase/fab a phase converter for every 3 phase machine I own. I may be able to get 3 phase run to the shop, but according to the electric company it will be costly. So I purchased an MEP-004A with hopes that I can use it to run my 3 phase equipment. However the injection pump needs rebuilt so I have not been able to test its capability, therefore I am asking y'all. What size 3 phase motor will an MEP-004A successfully start?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Triple Jim

My 003A starts the industrial 5hp 1750 RPM motor on my air compressor, but you can tell it's working at it. I'd expect the 004A to be able to start half again more, at least.

Consider getting variable frequency drives (VFDs) for your 3-phase equipment. I got one for my milling machine years ago and sold my rotary converter. It is powered by single phase 240v and runs the 3 phase 208/240 motor on the mill. As a bonus, it made the mill variable speed, so I rarely have to move the belt on the pulleys. Also, it's silent, and gives braking when I stop the mill. Sometimes the drives come up on eBay at a good price.

Edit: It looks you can get a VFD made in China and shipped from California that will take single phase 240 and run a 3-phase 3 hp motor for under $100 delivered, from various sources.

Last edited:

robertsears1

I have not tried it yet with my 804A (should be comparable to your 004A) but I bought a 15 hp motor wound for 480v to drive my Curtis C89 compressor (55 cfm at 15 hp). It will get to about 460v with the voltage knob turned up in high setting (nominally 416v) which should work. It has decided to not start recently and I have not figured out the problem yet. It does not have 100 hrs yet, started at 46 with me. Ran great and then the next day acts like it is not getting fuel. I also bought a 804B about a month ago with 365 hrs. Came with Optima red tops (first one out of four that had batteries), charged them up, put fuel in it, added oil, and it runs like a top. It will even start my FDECU-5 heat pumps without tripping the short light like the 804A often does.

Robert

Last edited:

Jericho

Just read the "starting" amperage requirement on the motor you want to spin up, compare with rated output on your genset, Remember some motors take more to start then to run, CONSIDERABLE MORE, air compressors are a prime example, once hat half pressure or so the compressor is exponentially harder to turn over on re start then at 0 PSI. Consider a "soft start solenoid " for applications like that, and for water pumps that spin up from a loaded condition. JUst stick an "amp cuff" on the supply line and read it real time as you crank it,. I run a 4 cylinder turbo 33 KW genset and it is noticeable when I restart a 6 HP motor on my compressor

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks