• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-004A wire identification (inside exciter/VR assembly)

1800 Diesel

Looking through the TM schematics for wire # P55BB18, but so far have not been able to find it. If anyone can locate it on the schematics and also it's purpose please let me know. Looking inside the exciter/VR assembly it connects to a ground bracket that holds four components that appear to be small capacitors, adjacent to the transformer.

Thanks

1800 Diesel

Can you shoot a picture of that end of the wire?
Peter--Attached photos provided as described. 1st photo shows the wire number P55BB16. The crimped connector for this wire in question was found broken as was the bracket holding the group of 4 capacitors. (These are seen in the 2nd photo.) The 3rd photo shows the broken bracket. 4th photo shows the completed repairs. The yellow crimped connector is on wire # P55BB18. There was also another wire connected to this ground lug but it was not damaged. BTW, I didn't want to rob the bracket off another set so I used a steel 2"x 2" angle bracket that I had on hand.

This may or may not be related to my earlier post on the bouncing KW meter. It was too late to do a light-off last night. Will do that this morning.

I did find the wire in the MEP-005A TM 34 (page 5-50 & others) but all it tells me is that it runs from J13-T to E2. I'm still trying to learn how to read these schematics so that doesn't really help me with the purpose of the wire & whether or not it could relate to the KW meter issue. All I know for sure is that it is connected to a ground lug as shown in the 4th photo.

Thanks, Kevin

Attachments

1800 Diesel

Can you shoot a picture of that end of the wire?
Peter--just to close the loop on this item, the broken ground wire crimp connector was partially making contact while running, thus causing the problem with the KW meter needle swinging wildly. Problem solved. I have a couple videos but they're in MP4 format so I can't post until I get around to converting them.

Moderator--If you're so inclined, please combine this thread with the thread titled
" Bouncing Kilowatt meter (percent power) MEP-004A" since I've now confirmed the two are directly related. This will help others who run into the same problem on the MEP-004A sets. This troubleshooting took many man-hours of time going through every component that I could link to the meter until finally getting inside the exciter/VR. Since the factory bracket broke and allowed the four capacitors to vibrate in all directions, the fatigue factor caused the ring/crimp connector to break, thus causing the KW meter issue. I can't explain electrically why this single ground wire in the exciter/VR assembly is related to the KW meter, but obviously it is.

Kevin

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I remember mentioning that. :D

Glad you got it sorted. With the one I'm working on now I had an intermittent speed control problem. It would run perfectly then just go crazy. It turned out to be a loose screw on a the back of a switch. I had gone through and tugged on everything but in this case that wasn't enough. I should have put the screwdriver on every connection. Lesson learned for next time.

1800 Diesel

Hey, I remember mentioning that. :D

Glad you got it sorted. With the one I'm working on now I had an intermittent speed control problem. It would run perfectly then just go crazy. It turned out to be a loose screw on a the back of a switch. I had gone through and tugged on everything but in this case that wasn't enough. I should have put the screwdriver on every connection. Lesson learned for next time.
Chris--Yep, this one was an exercise in patience & tenacity trying to methodically go through each component looking for something causing the problem. I had also checked connections everywhere and of course swapped out the KW meter with two different ones to be sure--even swapped out the TWC. Also, with no one weighing in with possible causes made me realize this was a unique situation. It was definitely a good lesson though in staying with a problem until its solved. After a couple days and long nights, I was close to sending up the white flag...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately I'm one of those crazy people that enjoys that kind of punishment. I've had a blast going through the MEP831 and getting it back in shape. The wife walking to the car on her way to the shopping mall looks at me and just shakes her head. Hey, at least I'm not out chasing women.

Thumbs up on keeping with it till the end. It aint easy.

I wish I could have offered more constructive input. I'm just getting my feet wet so to speak with this gear. With any luck I'll learn more and be able to give back more to the community.

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

Don't know about enjoying the punishment--I think that's just part of the "addiction" to getting something working again to serve its original purpose & extend its life....on the wife part, I'm like Sewerzuk--we both have a very understanding wife who puts up with us for often spending time with "another woman" in the form of an MEP generator... :ditto:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks