• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-005 1987 won't stay running

Xiphiasman

was running and now it won't stay running more than 20 seconds
after suggestion from sewerzuk (see quote) I have changed fuel filters and cleaned all fuel lines, clean fuel pump filters, checked all 90's, steam cleaned day tank, checked injector return line, made sure all fitting tight at injectors, put a meter and even open IP to see if solenoid was engaging all check out, clean filter in front of IP. no warning lights still only 15 to 20 second. Do i have a bad pump or an air leak
Matt

This is almost certainly a fuel problem...
Normal things to check (even if you do see some fuel available at the IP):

1. Leaks in the fuel supply line (including in the fuel filters)
2. Fuel level in the day tank (includes operation of the lift pumps, solenoid valve, and float switch)
3. Clocked/blocked fuel filters and/or fuel line
4. Air in the fuel line
5. Blockage in the fuel return line
6. Faulty/defective injection pump

Sephirothq

How about the check valve on the return side of the injection pump?
I am referring to where the t comes out of the injection pump to the return line.

Xiphiasman

Yes i did pull the tee and cleaned and checked that bead/ball was there

I missed this part of a thread from sewerzuk
"You can check several of these things by turning the start switch to run, disconnecting the fuel line to the IP, and let it flow about 1 gallon into some kind of a catch can. It should take less than 1 minute to fill up the can...if the flow diminishes quickly, you have some kind of issue upstream."

mine doesn't diminishes it just takes 4 minute to fill a gallon
I'll start at the lift pumps I already had cleaned those filters maybe the checks are stuck in those
always looking for help thanks

PeterD

... it just takes 4 minute to fill a gallon
I'll start at the lift pumps I already had cleaned those filters maybe the checks are stuck in those
Check the front most filter and its lines. The day tank gravity feeds that filter, then again gravity feed to the injection pump. The fuel pumps only feed the day tank (through the rear filter, and the water separator) so if the day tank is being properly filled then they are probably OK.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes i did pull the tee and cleaned and checked that bead/ball was there

I missed this part of a thread from sewerzuk
"You can check several of these things by turning the start switch to run, disconnecting the fuel line to the IP, and let it flow about 1 gallon into some kind of a catch can. It should take less than 1 minute to fill up the can...if the flow diminishes quickly, you have some kind of issue upstream."

mine doesn't diminishes it just takes 4 minute to fill a gallon
They can hold a lot of crud, I cleaned mine two or three times, ended up punching the glass ball out, removing the spring and flushing with brake cleaner, and it ran fine afterwards.

Xiphiasman

pulled both pumps un did clips pulled out bead spring and shaft looks like one pump wasn't working
cleaned both put them back together and put them in. big difference in the noise they make now.
still get a 4 min fill on a gallon Day tank full of fuel I also cleaned the tee on top of the IP that ball is also free and moves easy. Fire it up ran for about 3 minute and lost rpms and shutdown as if staved for fuel again.

Attachments

derf

I assume you hold the switch in the start position for 15 seconds or so after it starts running. On some gens this is mandatory so the safety switches don't shut them down. If it is shutting down 20 seconds after you turn the switch from start to run and stays running as long as you hold the switch in start then you can check the safeties.

PeterD

Run solenoid, part of the injection pump. Two wires on the top of the pump (one +24V other ground) which should have 24 volts while running. If for some reason that voltage goes away, it will shut down. There is also the lever on the side that must be wired towards the end of the pump where the injector lines are--if it moves the other way it too will shut down the engine.

derf

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxiliary-equipment/50444-mep-005-fuel-injection-pump.html

This may help some.

buck

Is your day tank plastic or the metal style tank? I remember William from Delk's telling me once that the on plastic versions the top will settle causing the pickup line to come in contact with the bottom of the tank and plugging it. The fix he suggested was to cut a piece of 2x4 the appropriate length and get it in there through the fill opening to support the top of the tank keeping the pickup line off the bottom. Just a thought, Hope you get it figured out.

Xiphiasman

Problem was the tee on top of the IP i've cleaned it several time (4x) (cause of other post on this site) looks like I will be needing an impeller soon cause the stuff that keep clogging the the ball look like coffee grinds. flushed the IP pump to get as much of the micro black particles out remove the brass fitting with the check ball replaced it with one without and been running for 20 minutes now about to start putting more load on.
will I have problems running without the check ball? I still have it just incase
Thanks for your help

Buck thanks I have a stainless tank steam cleaned it yesterday

212sparky

what is the source of the black crud. My 004 had the tee plugged and i pitched the check valve for a normal one. Gen set runs great as is.

Isaac-1

The "coffee grounds" are caused by the fly weight retaining ring inside the injection pump coming apart.

You need to have the pump rebuilt or at a minimum have the flyweight retaining ring replaced.

Ike

p.s. note stanadyne pumps build after the mid 1980's use an improved rubber compound for the retaining ring that is much less prone to this type of failure. I am somewhat surprised to hear of this on a 1987 generator, but it is possible you ended up with one of the last of the ones with the old style rubber ring.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks