• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005 fuel level sending unit

buck

Picked up an MEP-005A 30 KW genset recently. Got it home and found it had no sending unit in the fuel tank, just an open hole and screws. Flushed the tank, fashioned a cap for the hole, and it started right up. All appears well except for the hertz gauge. Needle flshes over when started and when shut down, but otherwise sits at the bottom of the range. Have the TM and I'll be looking iinto that problem over the weekend. If anyone could save me some leg work finding a source for a new or used replacement sending unit, that would really be great. Thanks for any help.

Crawdaddy

When your start the set up, are you holding the start switch for 5-10 seconds after it starts up, or just letting go as soon as the engine fires. It sounds like you're letting it go and the generator isn't flashing the field enough. Hold the start switch until you see the frequency stay up on the meter. As for the fuel level sender, Delk's in North Carolina should have what you need.

buck

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of needing to flash the field with the starter switch. The volt gauge comes up and reads as it should on all setings, but not the hertz gauge. Hope it's just something simple with the gauge. I'll check with Delk,s on the sending unit. Thanks again.

PeterD

Just a thought...

Pull of the sending unit and see if there are some adjusting potentiometers on the back (may be two.) Note their setting, and with a screwdriver swing each adjustment from minimum to maximum a few times, and stop where they were previously set. That may resolve the problem.

Do keep in mind the sending unit and gauge are supposed to be a matched set. Though you can calibrate a sending unit which has adjustments (not all do!) to match another compatible gauge. Not all gauges are compatible with all sending units either, so keep that in mind.

buck

Thanks PeterD. As of now, there is no sending unit in the tank. It did not have one when I got it. I made a little cap to srew in it's place to seal the tank for now. Havn't gotten to check with Delk's yet on a sending unit, but will soon. I wasn't aware that the gauge and senders were a matched set so thanks for that info and I will keep it in mind when getting what I need to get the fuel gauge operational

buck

Sorry about my mix up. I'm in the process of learning about the generator side of these units. Thanks for the tip on the hertz gauge. Hope I can get it figured out tommorrow.

bmwsyc

The frequency meter on my (smaller) set was not working, I found that at some time in the past it had vibrated itself to pieces. The case says "Sealed- do not open" but it does open easily. I put the meter back together (which required a little creative soldering) and now it seems to work pretty well.
YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks