• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005 Not producing output

nofear

Hi all. I have a MEP-005 that is not producing power out via the Lugs on the side nor the convenience receptacle. On startup, Freq stays at 49Hz and voltage at 0. I startup at full throttle (not sure if it is 1800 rpm). I hold the on switch to ON for about 3-5 seconds for all the (most) of gauges to come up.

L1 will have jumpy hz, meaning it might jump from 28 up to 40 down to 18 then steady out about 23. No voltage from it to L0

I have the TM so I feel I can dive into things, I'm just not sure where to start looking at. Any thoughts/advice?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You need to flash the field on startup. Hold the start switch till voltage comes up. Is it new to you or something you had that was working? Can you close the contactor? Check connections first. Manual has troubleshooting its confusing sometimes though. Possibly a bad regulator/exciter.

rustystud

You might also have to manually "excite" the field. This will require you taking the two field wires off and applying 12volts directly to them being mindful of polarity. F1 is negative and F2 is positive.

nofear

I have done the hold startup switch. usually 3-5 seconds until all the gauges come up. I've had it ~ 5 years. Not really done much with her, other than starting up on occasion to charge the batteries. Which reading now, I've read hurts the regulator. I'm thinking that may be where the problem lie's. What do you mean close the contactor?

I will try that rustystud.