• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 005 Runs Great for 1-2 minutes then shuts down, no fault light indications

Alaskakopp

Gents, looking for a bit of help on a MEP 005 Gen Set problem. Picked up 2 units at an auction and just starting to try to get them running. The unit runs great for 1-2 minutes, good oil pressure, no apparent fuel leaks, then shuts down, no fault light indications etc.. I can then turn right around and fire it up again with basically the same results except it may run for less time. Any Ideas?

Worked on these things 20 years ago, but my old brain has purged much of what I use to know. Can't find anything that helps in TM.

Thanks,
Robby

leedawg

So I have a few of these as well. Most likley the gov rin in the injection pump is coming apart and you get these little chunks of black crap in the injection pump running around which tend to clog the check valve that is at the bottom of that T fitting that has a fuel line coming from the day tank and the other coming back from the injection rail. Take it off and make sure its well cleaned out and not plugged up. What you are describing sure sounds like a fuel flow problem to me. Also make sure that lever on the side of the injection pump is wired back tward the control panel if it moves forward tward the radiator then it will shut the fuel pump off and hence the motor. Let us know what you find out.

Lee

jbk

if the glass ball in the check valve at the top of the pump(return line) is crusted up it will have the peform you described.

Alaskakopp

Cleaned the check valve piece and it ran strong for a bit then went right back to its same old ways. Took it apart again and still more coffee ground type trash. I read one post about just breaking out the glass on the check valve and it fixed his problem. Do you know of any down side to that? I would hate to screw anything up.

Thanks,
Robby

212sparky

I did it to mine. No issues that I can see. I physically removed the fitting and put in a normal tee fitting on my mep 004.

Alaskakopp

Thanks Lee, I have read some of your previous posts and they have been very helpful. The lever is in the right position, but this thing really changes its symptoms, actually had to move the lever forward a bit to get a start at one point. Any thoughts on just punching out the glass on the check valve, or removing it by using a different fitting. Also, should I just take the top off the injector pump and clean that out. I have taken the check valve out and cleaned it multiple times but the trash keeps coming, even ran the unit with the check valve and return line disconnected to try to pump out some trash but it goes right back to the SOS.

Thanks,
Robby

jbk

after reading your post again i think the flex ring is coming apart. the coffee grounds material you described is a classic symptom. i think its shutting down due to the material cloging the check. after you remove the check i dont think it will be long before the ring is gone.

Alaskakopp

After reading some other posts, I was afraid of that. Can I screw anything up by clearing the return path and running it anyway? I have a new injector pump but I planned on using it on a unit I am trying to get going to use at my Father's place. We are Florida folks, so just trying to get ready for next hurricane season.

Thanks,
Robby

leedawg

after reading your post again i think the flex ring is coming apart. the coffee grounds material you described is a classic symptom. i think its shutting down due to the material cloging the check. after you remove the check i dont think it will be long before the ring is gone.

This is exactly what is happening. Mine is having the same issues I actually removed the check valve on mine and put a fitting in that just kept the T at the same level. It has been running fine this way for at least 10 hours. However I do worry about that crap getting into the injectors. Later next year I am going to pull the pump and send it in for a rebuild like I did the other one. They will upgrade some of the parts in the pump and then it will also hold its RPM better. Mine runs great however it does not hold the RPm as well as it should. I get about a 5 to 6 hz droop from full load to idle. SO its kinda of annoying when loads are coming on and off like wells and stuff and I worry about burning up an electric motor if it falls off too far.

Id suggest taking out the fitting before destorying the check valve. Give it a shot see if it clears up your symptoms. Otherwise you might want to think about a rebuild on the pump. I did open mine up and clean it out as best I could and there is a lot of that broken down rubber black chunks that were very hard to get all out from the flex ring.

Good luck let us know how it goes..

Lee

jbk

theirs a guy on ebay now that has new pumps for the 004. ill take a look saw it yesterday.
found it item #320986919420 $725.00 or best offer

Last edited:

leedawg

theirs a guy on ebay now that has new pumps for the 004. ill take a look saw it yesterday.
found it item #320986910420 $725.00 or best offer
Could not find it under that item number. However if its a new old stock pump id imagine it would probably start to have the same problem pretty soon just due to the way the gov ring was made back then. I had my pump rebuilt by badger diesel was 300 bucks hard to beat that and they put the new upgraded parts in it so it will never have that problem again. Check them out bit slow but they get it done and do a really nice job on it.

On a side note ive noticed a front main crank seal oil leak little puddle under the motor at the front and on the cross memeber that supports it. Anybody know where to source a seal and how hard it is to change out?

jbk

its more than likley the oil pan seals. had to replace mine. delks got them.
not hard at all to change.

Last edited:

Alaskakopp

Gents, justwant to give out a big ole thanks to all. After buying several fittings toreplace the check valve (none of which fit), and a bit of aggravation and a fewbeers for encouragement, I finally just broke the glass on the check valve toclear it. She runs like a champ now. I realize, due to the advice you guys gave,that I will need to get the pump rebuilt eventually, but man it was nice tohear the old girl run. Now my 81 year Dad will have backup power for the nexthurricane season. Again, big thanks!!

V/R
Robby

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks