• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 005A Charge dropping out?

Old Man

Purchased a Mep005A with very low hours and did the single phase split phase conversion on it. It produced power just fine both before the conversion and after. I start it about once a month just to keep everything working. I started it up last week and it would not produce any power. After shutting it down and starting it back up several times I observed that while cranking the engine over the volts would start to climb to about 40 or 50 volts but fall back to 0 when I let off the start switch. By holding the start switch longer than necessary I did get it to climb on up to full power once and worked fine until I shut it down again. Now no power again. Anybody have any idea what that might be?

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that with some of the bigger if not all MEP gen sets that you'll have to hold the start longer than it takes to start engine to excite to field to produce power. (needs checking) There's is TM's for your Generator on the forums in TM section under "Generator and Electrical TM's" if needed I can Email you the TM's for some reason the forums not allowing me to upload TM's to this post. Hopeful this helps you out.

Old Man

Even when I hold the start for about a full minute it still won't start charging. Seems like that would be plenty of time wouldn't it? I will see if I can find anything in the TM's. Thanks for the help.

Guyfang

Staff member
Happened to me also. Now I got In line electric fuel pumps that will not work for some reason. Anyone got any suggestions on that. I'm spending hundreds on this ole girl and not getting any where. It worked 100% 3 months ago. I thinking about selling it if I can find any in South Georgia that wants to take it on. ?? Any help is appreciated.

unplug the fuel pumps. Take a wire and go from the pos side of the starter, or pos terminal of the batteries, and go to the fuel pump wire. Will the pump run? Test both.

Do the pumps run with the S2 in the run position and the S7 in the up position?

ducati916rdr

Morris, I am new to the MEP005a, got mine 2 weeks ago, I would be interested in yours if you decide to sell and still have it. Mine, I drove 300 miles to see her, Seller said she ran out of fuel and would only run on ether. I got there, she would crank but not run, had an overspeed trip on the panel and would not reset. Pushed the overspeed reset button and she started. Leave it to our government to buy these and no where on the unit does it say to hold the start run switch in the start position to flash the field. Well, I already had the manuals, found it and tried it, 160v when wired 120v/208v on the output at 48hz. bring it up the speed only drove the output higher, well, I figures it would be an easy enough fix, I bought it and headed home. Troubleshooting begins. My friend felt it had failed SCR's, Capacitors, the unijuction transistor and the IC on the Voltage reg board, the static exciter was working overtime and the regulator could not reign it in. Well, at least he felt for the $120 I could buy all these for, it was just a good practical refresh for primary suspects in a 45 year old controller. All but the transistor were replaced, it was lost in the postal system. Frequency was now 48hz and 150v, bringing it up to about 52hz before going into the overvoltage alarm. The unijunction transistor arrived, crust and rusty right from the box, I debride the leads, try tinning then installing and pray for success. I got continuity across the solder joints so I installed and fired the girl up. The field flashed, the friend was fooling around with the voltage regulator without mounting it and grounded the heat sinked SCR's to the chassis and we lost the control panel. He burned a circuit trace from the circuit board for the control panel. Easy repair and we are back to work. The feedback transformer had no output, now to repair that, we substituted in a standard door bell transformer, 120v/25v and got the field to flash, 48hz, 145v and overvoltage alarm when we speed it up to 55hz. I try to simply dial up the speed to hold 60 hz and found the generator at 59hz decided to go straight to 65hz. Backing down to 61 hz and she fell off a cliff and went straight to 53hz. The exciter was acting goofy and I realized how bad the feedback transformer was missmatched. I found on steel soldiers the specifications for the transformer, found the commercially available replacement and ordered one. New transformer in place, we fired her up and the voltage adjustment was despite all odds, right on the money even though Aaron had broken the spring requiring a spare be purchased, not yet installed. Now, 48hz, 50 hz, 55hz, 60hz, still 120v. Shut her down and lets go get some load to test her. I am not a commercial business with 30kw loads setting here. I am a guy with a big generator to build a mobile shop trailer with a focus on welding and associated processes. I have electric heaters, 220v a/c circulating fans and a 50amp 220v RV. We use the heaters, an electric leaf blower and a 5kw ac circulating fan, we attain 8kw with .2hz and 0 voltage fluctuation. So far, so good. Now to go get the 8kw welder, 8kw plasma cutter, 5 hp compressor and a few 10kw electric heaters and see how she runs. The expensive welders and plasma are last in line and a day or 2 from testing. I began tonight building a mobile power station on 6 casters with quick connections similar to the newer offroad winch connectors rated at 600v/175a and a 90' 3 phase 175a/600v cable. 3'highx3'longx1.25'wide, 125kw breaker panel with outlets for120v/20a, 220v/30a, 220v/50a 3 blade, 220v/50a four blade and 3 phase outlets. The mobile base used to be the distribution section from an old 1999 125kw UPS. It lives and works as designed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks