• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 005a Injection pump timing, Not lining up with flywheel marks

leedawg

Hey guys been awhile since ive been working on my project Mep 005a. Any way I just got the injection pump back from the diesel shop along with all the injectors. Any way I installed all the injectors and the injection pump.

Well I followed all of the directions based on the TM for timing the pump. I moved the flywheel to 20 degrees in the window and then put the pump on and rotated it till the line lines up or almost lines up in the inspection window. This brings me to the problem im having the pump is twisted all the way clock wise and the mounting holes will not allow the pump to rotate any further so that I can get the lines on the injector pump to line up in the inspection window of the injection pump. The lines are probably off by about quarter inch or so.

So this leads me to my next question it appears as though it is impossible to get the lines to line up on the injection pump with the crank being at 20 degrees before TDC as the TM describes. Should I take the pump to a machine shop and have them mill out the mounting holes so I can rotate the pump further or is there a way to get the timing gear to hop one cog clockwise so that I am more in the range of the timing holes with respect to rotation of the pump?

The generator does run but it is smoking alot and smells like it is putting out unburned fuel. It also has a difficult time starting without a little bit of ether into the intake. Its not too cold where I live probably 60 degrees today.

Look forward to hearing back from anybody that has any advice or experience with this.

Why is there such a large hole for inspection cover of the timing gear? It seems uncessary unless you can somehow move the timing gear to fix this problem or do you have to take off the entire front timing gear cover which means big time disassembly of the front end of the motor cause I would have to remove all the belts and accessories.

Thanks again

Leeaua

Robbied46

I'm not familiar with the 005 but I think I would stay away from the machine shop. As you know, the tm's can be a little hard to understand, especially on the first go around. Im sure someone with experience on this unit will chime in to help. When setting to 20 degrees before tdc, turn the engine in the direction of normal rotation and approach your mark with caution. If you miss and turn it back, you will be introducing gear backlash that will cause an inaccurate reading. It is also possible that someone has worked on it before and not gotten it timed correctly. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks