• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005a no fuel light, voltage regulator only 100 volts need tm

Sephirothq

I got the mep5 out today and wanted to make sure it was running good for the winter. I started up with a slave since the batteries were a little low. It fired right up no problem but it was only making 100 volts. The voltage adjustment didn't do anything. I know it worked last year.

I had the issue when i first got it and it somehow just cleared itself up, so i never did find out what was the issue before because it just started working.

I have tried to flash the field a few times with no luck.

I left the generator running for about 30 minutes and then it shut down. The no fuel light was light. The generator would restart only when i would hold the switch up to the start position. as soon as I let go it shuts down.

I have noticed the fuel pumps don't run on the primming when the battle short is held to the start position which it normally did.

I can't find a TM for the generator on the site either so I can't really trouble shoot too much.

Oh and the alternator stopped charging and shows a discharge of 2 amps. even while connected to the slave with the slave starting vehicle off. I checked the fuse and that is good. Why did they put such a small alternator on the generator?

Let me know if i missed anything obvious.

The injection pump was rebuilt last year so i know that is good.

1800 Diesel

TM here:

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-6115-465-12.pdf

On the voltage, check connections at the main circuit breaker (both sides) and verify tightness & no corrosion. Once connections are verified good, run generator at speed & close main breaker switch and then check voltages on both sides of the main breaker. Observe standard safety precautions when doing this! Also check connections at AC voltage meter. Cycle the voltage selector switch several times to confirm the contacts are clean. Also, did you verify voltmeter on panel is accurate with a known-good meter?

Report back any observations.

Kevin

Sephirothq

Yes the voltage is correct at the gauge from what the lugs and the convenience plugs are putting out. I do not believe it to be a corrosion issue. The connections are clean and tight.

Sephirothq

I will have to check the rectifier for the fuel problem. I am pretty sure the pumps are still good, I don't think they would die on me so sudden. I had put good fuel in it so i don;'t have a reason to suspect it.

1800 Diesel

Would the fuel level in the day tank cause the pumps not to run?
With Start/Run/Stop switch in run position, DC breaker pushed in & BS switch on, the pumps should be running, regardless of fuel level in day tank. If you do a little searching, I believe you'll find quite a few threads related to the fuel pump issues for MEP-004As which IIRC are the same as an MEP-005A.

Kevin

Sephirothq

The pumps are not running through the system, i will check them tomorrow individually. I am familiar with using the BS for priming the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks