• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 005A remote starting circuit wiring

Jim832904

Looking to set up for whole house backup with an automatic transfer switch (Asco 300 series). Have a hand drawn diagram for the remote circuit to start and stop the gen set through a series of 24 volt coils. Would like to verify since it is hand drawn and it's a first time deal. The circuit ties into the gen wiring at the special relay box on jack 29. I have changed this unit to 120/240V. Is there a TM with this info?
Thanks in advance.

leedawg

Looking to set up for whole house backup with an automatic transfer switch (Asco 300 series). Have a hand drawn diagram for the remote circuit to start and stop the gen set through a series of 24 volt coils. Would like to verify since it is hand drawn and it's a first time deal. The circuit ties into the gen wiring at the special relay box on jack 29. I have changed this unit to 120/240V. Is there a TM with this info?
Thanks in advance.
Im missing the diagram you had. This set would be super easy to modify for automatic start and stop however. If I were to do it id just use an avr or pic controller with some relays. The main breaker goes in and out with a 24 volt contactor so thats no big deal can just have your pic or avr control a relay for that and, another one to control the start run circuit. The only thing that would be slightly more challenging would be if you wanted it to control throttle too but really is not necessary if you set the throttle to 60hz and leave it there the gov in the injection pump will hold it steady at about that hz next time the unit starts up and warms up. However ive often thought it would be nice after a minute or so goes by to have the avr or pic sample the fq and use a high torque servo to make small adjustments to the throttle to dial in the 60hz. I would make it sample over a couple of minutes so that when loads come on and off the micro would not be hunting but just be correcting for slight variances over longer periods of time and allow the gov to do its job as loads come in and out. Any way would not mind seeing your diagram at all of how you intend to do it with just contactors which is also do able however will probably require more relays than using a microcontroller to do it. THe other way if you dont feel like getting into microcontrollers would be using a PLC device such as the ones made by allan bradley or something similar to that. However cost starts to go up when you start talking about PLC devices and you still have to do some programing to make it do what you want. The best part about micro-controllers is they are dirt cheap like 8 bucks for a very capable micro. Any way just my .02.

Oh and I think it would be far simpler to make your automatic connections inside the control box using the leads that go to the switches that were intended to be operated on the control panel. Just jumper onto those terminals that way you can still take over manual control if you wish or have the relays do it for you inside. I would not mess around with the special relay box.

Lee

Last edited:

Jim832904

MEP 005A Remote start circuit diagram/phase change list

View attachment Generator circuit diagrams(2).pdfView attachment generator circuit diagram part B.pdf

Page 1 is a circuit diagram for remote starting of the generator from an Automatic Transfer Switch or other switch. Looking to verify this diagram and discuss its components and methods of construction ie wire sizing, mounting box,etc. My setup will have the generator located in a shed away from the house and an automatic transfer switch near my house service panels (indoors) which will start the generator and then transfer the load if we have grid power failure. It will then transfer power back to grid, cool down the gen engine and shut down the engine when grid power comes back. At least that's the plan.

Page 2 is a list of steps for conversion of MEP 005A from three to single or split phase. This list needs to credit "sewerzuk" for an excellent U Tube video presentation of this operation. I made the list so I wouldn't need to see the video over and over. I've already done this conversion on my unit. It's straight forward and takes about an hour and a few hand tools.

bimota

Did this project ever get completed? Would like to know, I get inquiries for this setup a few times a year and I always say we can do it but it could be expensive so it has never actually been purchased. You'd have to have have one very electrically large house to need this so usually a $699 Costco or Harbor Freight air cooled can get the job done.

Jim832904

Project has been on hold but will be on it soon. Need to rearrange my house service for the xfer switch. The 30 kw 3 phase generator is plenty big even after the 3 phase to single phase conversion brings it down to about 20 kw. The key will be to exercise it periodically with enough load to keep the diesel engine from "wet stacking" which is unburned fuel accumulation in the exhaust caused by lack of load/temperature. I plan to create a load bank of some sort. There are various methods. I think I can get about 12-14 kw from the house with everything on. It would be an expensive set up with all new components and contractor labor. For me, the components are mostly previously used and the labor is mine except for the final tie in at the meter. Will try to give you some numbers on the job when I finish. Don't be holding your breath... remember, I'm not full time and I'm still negotiating payment with my sweetie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks