• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005a runs for 30 seconds then dies

jamawieb

Mep-005a runs for about 30 seconds and then dies due to no fuel to pump. I sold this unit about 3 years ago and it ran perfect. Apparently the new owners have never ran it and need it now. It starts right up, runs 30 seconds and then slowly dies. Crack the fuel line at the pump, no fuel at first but alot of air, then fuel runs out. So it's getting air into the system somewhere. Changed the filters again, same thing. Bypassed the day tank, same thing. After it dies, you can crack any line open and air escapes, then fuel runs out. Really weird and wanted to see if anyone else has seen this happen.

jamawieb

Push in CB1.
Flip up S2 to Run.
Flip up S7.
Let it run a good long while.

That forces the B2 & B3 to run, filling up the fuel system. Do you get any leaking someplace? If there is someplace that is sucking air, it should show up.
I did that, let the pumps run for 20 minutes a couple of times. No leaks.

Guyfang

Staff member
Are all the injector lines tight at the IP and at the injectors? Any fuel leaks or seepage from the top of the engine? Any signs of fuel anyplace in the gen set? Have you cleaned out the check valve on top of the IP? And lastly, have someone put a Multimeter on the L1, (engine fuel shut off solenoid) on top of the IP. I say this, because you might be also losing VDC at the L1. Start up the set, let it run, when it dies, do you still have VDC?

jamawieb

Last night worked on it some more. Pulled all the rubber lines off and cleaned the inside with carb cleaner, still had the same issue. Took the tee off the top of the injector pump where the check valve is located. It had a little trash on it, cleaned and reinstalled. It ran for about 2 minutes and slowly died again. Took the check valve out again and it had just a little trash on it so I decided to knock the valve out so it will free flow. That has seemed to fix the issue, runs perfect again. Hope this thread helps someone else.

Ray70

Glad you got it! I was just about to suggest you revisit the check ball again, but you already did and were already successful!
Good job! The check valve can sometimes appear good, but still not flow enough to keep the engine running.
It is curious why it's filling with air... ??
The stuck check valve causes the pump body to pressurize with excess fuel from the transfer pump, not sure where the air is coming from.
I'm sure you don't really want to mess with it now that it's running, but you may want to remove the IP top cover and look in the top cavity to see how much junk is in there. If it's got a lot of crap in it that could be a sign of a deteriorating flex coupler and could lead to a future IP failure if not addressed.
I know its not your responsibility now, but just a suggestion.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would have soaked the check valve in carburetor cleaner. Its there for a reason. If you have trash in the check valve, its coming from your fuel system. So for me, the problem is not really corrected. Just postponed. At the least, you should have removed the day dank and the rest of the fuel system for a very good cleaning.

jamawieb

I would have soaked the check valve in carburetor cleaner. Its there for a reason. If you have trash in the check valve, its coming from your fuel system. So for me, the problem is not really corrected. Just postponed. At the least, you should have removed the day dank and the rest of the fuel system for a very good cleaning.
The amount of trash on the check valve was minimal. I did clean it with carb cleaner twice but was still having the issue. I believe the trash came from the bottom of the filter canisters which were cleaned with carb cleaner too. Before I started, I drained the day tank and filter housings to make sure any water was out. I still don't know where the air was coming from in the beginning to block the flow but thats been rectified after the cleaning of the fuel hoses and changing of filters. I've been load testing the unit for the past couple of days and everything is performing perfect. I'm going to change the filters again after a couple more days of testing just as precaution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks