• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 005A worth

zb39

I have one with 13 hours on it. It looks super clean and new. The injection pump is off of it and is in a box. I'm never going to mess with it. Thinking of selling and need a starting point. It has been stored inside the whole time I have had it. It's in the back of a 105 trailer. Easy for me to move around. ANY opionins appreciated. thanks

1800 Diesel

If you say that you're "never going to mess with it" I expect that means you're looking at an "as-is" sale. I wouldn't be a buyer being so far away but a few questions are in order. Is the trailer included in sale? Is this a standard model or ASK? Has the unit ever run in your possession? My guess if you're not certain if the engine runs & the generator produces power, the unit is standard model & no trailer, then as-is value would be $500-$700. If you could get someone to install the IP & get the unit up & running, something like $2000-$2500 or a little more if you did some marketing. Bottom line, if it were mine, I would get the unit up & running & then sell. Understand if you need to sell quick, then that's what you have to do. Good luck with it.

Kevin

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would list it in the classifieds.
Since it doesn't run it's worth about $.12 a pound.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

What they said, but I would price it in running condition a bit higher, but that does depend on location, the problem is limited demand

1800 Diesel

What they said, but I would price it in running condition a bit higher, but that does depend on location, the problem is limited demand
Ike--agree that the value could be higher. That's what I meant about doing a little marketing. As you know 30KW is too much for a typical home unit but if he could market the unit in original 3-phase configuration to a shop or business needing that much power, then I would think he could get least $3500 or more & like you said location makes a big difference too. Also, like what we see down in hurricane country, I expect when they have ice storms up north, the price of generators go up considerably....

Kevin

jlxb

I have one with 13 hours on it. It looks super clean and new. The injection pump is off of it and is in a box. I'm never going to mess with it. Thinking of selling and need a starting point. It has been stored inside the whole time I have had it. It's in the back of a 105 trailer. Easy for me to move around. ANY opionins appreciated. thanks
I just bought one for 850.00 in "unknown" running condition at GSA auction. I only spent that much because it was really close by. If you did not remove the IP, chances are some one else assumed the IP had a problem, removed it and then called to get a quote for a rebuild. In my area IP service runs 500.00 to 900.00 depending on what it needs.

In my case, it took me one hour to service the new machine and get it up and running. Just great luck! I have had it go the other way in a big hurry. I have a pretty low tolerance for boat anchors these days.

So, if you can determine the status of the pump inexpensively (have it tested) your 005 may be a candidate for sale in running condition. If you can have it serviced for less then $1000.00 you can still recover your costs but the margins are getting thin. Otherwise, she is worth way more parted out less the value of your disassembly and marketing time.

My time is now worth more then generator parts. But, I did not always feel that way. I have 2 sitting in my back yard.

jlxb

I just re-read your post and it occurs to me that with only 13 hours, it has only been run a few times since new. Unless there is a rebuild tag on the engine (also resets the hour meter) this gen has been sitting in a field for thirty years. The roosa master /stanadyne IP has very well known issues with old diesel fuel sitting in it. It needs cleaning! Chances are, the military or previous owner tried to start it and got no fuel flow to the injectors. Very common! I have gotten these to run without expensive outside service but you need to be very careful. Just one grain of sand.......... My re-builder would charge me 500.00 to disassemble, clean and re-assemble with a new gasket and seal kit. Expensive but risk free. He gets paid way better then I do.

zb39

I am in west PA. There is a tag on the engine saying it is filled with preservative. and it must be serviced before being run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks