• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-005a

Kbrandt

Bought two gensets and had one running right for an hour the previous owner bypassed the fuel shut off solenoid on both of them. First one that ran for an hour was great now today I went to start and it will start up run for 10 seconds then die second one does exact same thing never had it running long but will run for about 30 seconds then die I’m not familiar at all with these but the second produces a lot of smoke so thinking from what I read the injection pump isn’t timed correctly as previous owner said a new one was installed. Any idea where to start

Kbrandt

Update got one running opened the day tank and I guess since the fuel pump solenoid was bypassed it was getting too full and shutting it off. Now second one where is the t and check valve for return line

Scoobyshep

smoke can be bad timing, it can also be wetstacked. Check the TM for the timing procedure (theres marks on the flywheel and IP) if its timed right you might just need to burn the crap out of it.

Ray70

The check ball is in the Tee fitting right at the top cover of the Injection pump.
Sounds like the glass ball in there is stuck, causing the internal pump cavity pressure to rise and kill the pump's internal fuel transfer process.
Take the tee fitting off and the check ball is in the lower extension fitting that attaches the tee to the pump cover.

Kbrandt

smoke can be bad timing, it can also be wetstacked. Check the TM for the timing procedure (theres marks on the flywheel and IP) if its timed right you might just need to burn the crap out of it.
can’t get it torun long enough to burn everything out

other gen I had running for an hour ran great shut it off and went to restart now it won’t start damn things driving me nuts

Kbrandt

The check ball is in the Tee fitting right at the top cover of the Injection pump.
Sounds like the glass ball in there is stuck, causing the internal pump cavity pressure to rise and kill the pump's internal fuel transfer process.
Take the tee fitting off and the check ball is in the lower extension fitting that attaches the tee to the pump cover.
So it’s there?

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets start at the beginning.

"the previous owner bypassed the fuel shut off solenoid on both of them" What are you calling the fuel shut off solenoid? The L1, (Engine Fuel Shutoff Solenoid), Mounted on the IP? Or the L2, (Day Tank Fuel solenoid) Mounted on the Day Tank assembly?

When you say "Bypassed", do you mean there was a "Hot" wire run to the Pos side of the L1 (or L2), (engine fuel shut off/Day tank solenoid) or were there two wires run to the L1/L2? We need to get on the same sheet of music.

"First one that ran for an hour was great now today I went to start and it will start up run for 10 seconds then die second one does exact same thing" Do you mean AFTER you let the S2, (Start, Run, Stop switch) return to the run position? Or do you mean you hold S2 up and the and even though it up in the start position, the engine cuts off?

"the second produces a lot of smoke so thinking from what I read the injection pump isn’t timed correctly as previous owner said a new one was installed." Don't worry about this yet. Make it run first.

Kbrandt

Lets start at the beginning.

"the previous owner bypassed the fuel shut off solenoid on both of them" What are you calling the fuel shut off solenoid? The L1, (Engine Fuel Shutoff Solenoid), Mounted on the IP? Or the L2, (Day Tank Fuel solenoid) Mounted on the Day Tank assembly?

When you say "Bypassed", do you mean there was a "Hot" wire run to the Pos side of the L1 (or L2), (engine fuel shut off/Day tank solenoid) or were there two wires run to the L1/L2? We need to get on the same sheet of music.

They took the L2 day tank solenoid completely off both units

"First one that ran for an hour was great now today I went to start and it will start up run for 10 seconds then die second one does exact same thing" Do you mean AFTER you let the S2, (Start, Run, Stop switch) return to the run position? Or do you mean you hold S2 up and the and even though it up in the start position, the engine cuts off?

After letting it sit for awhile it cranked back up and runs great again still has theL2 completely taken out

"the second produces a lot of smoke so thinking from what I read the injection pump isn’t timed correctly as previous owner said a new one was installed." Don't worry about this yet. Make it run first.
Sounds good I have taken to make sure the glass bead was free in the return that was good this unit has the L2 taken off as well it will run for seconds and then die out

Guyfang

Staff member
Your IP should look like this. With the arm wired to the front of the set. The manual throttle cable looks a little long. DO NOT push in the Speed control cable when you shut the set down. Get it adjusted right for 60 hertz, and leave it there. No need to readjust every time you start the set.

Attachments

Kbrandt

Your IP should look like this. With the arm wired to the front of the set. The manual throttle cable looks a little long. DO NOT push in the Speed control cable when you shut the set down. Get it adjusted right for 60 hertz, and leave it there. No need to readjust every time you start the set.
alright yeah it didn’t have a wire on it cranks right up but dies after a second I’m sure it’s something simple

Guyfang

Staff member

Kbrandt

This one working fine now it’s the other start just barely runs for a couple seconds and then stops then you can crank it and it will run for a couple seconds then die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks