• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-006A fuel & IP questions

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a MEP-006a 60kw gen. I have used these gens before without issue. I just got this one and cant seem to get it going. New fuel filters installed, I get good fuel feed to the injection pump but none into it. This pump has the internal fuel solenoid and there is 24 volts to the contacts. The return line and ball valve are clear. The engine will run off a bit of ether. I did try opening an injection line in case the pump itself was air bound but I still dont get any fuel. I believe the 1/2 bolt on the side of the pump is for priming also. Other posts have talked about a manual shutoff under the top cover but before I start opening the pump up I was wondering if anyone with more experience could give some guidance here.
Thanks
Will

PeterD

Check for voltage at the fuel shutoff valve (the two wires going to the injection pump) before disassembling. If you have 24 volts there, then the problem is likely to be fuel supply. Remove the fuel feed to the injection pump (it's gravity fed) and see if you get a flow of fuel. If yes, next check the fuel return line from the injection pump to the day tank and ensure it and the check valve are clear. A plugged return line will absolutely keep it from running.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have 24 volts at the contacts, fuel to the pumps inlet and a verified clear return line. I did all the basic stuff. Has anyone had any experience opening the top of the pump. I dont want to inadvertently screw something up. The pump isnt cheap.
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It is. I am leaning towards a fuel shutoff issue. The tm diagram I found did not show the 24 volt solenoid inside the pump housing. I don't know if I would want to rebuild it myself. The whole gen looks like it was gone thru in 09. I am leaning towards the shutoff being the issue since I get nothing out of the pump.

rustystud

It is. I am leaning towards a fuel shutoff issue. The tm diagram I found did not show the 24 volt solenoid inside the pump housing. I don't know if I would want to rebuild it myself. The whole gen looks like it was gone thru in 09. I am leaning towards the shutoff being the issue since I get nothing out of the pump.
The "Stanadyne" pump can either be energized to open the fuel or energized to close off the fuel. It just depends how it was wired. What I have done in the past is removed the return line and let it drain into a bucket. Then I turn on the pressure pump and see if fuel comes out. If not, then I put voltage to the pump to see if it opens. If it still is not draining then something is wrong in the pump itself. Of course this is assuming the solenoid is working. Usually you can hear and feel the solenoid engage.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The fuel solenoid functions. I opened the pump up. When I manually retract the arm that the solenoid normally retracts, the spring loaded part does not move much. Here are some pics inside the pump.
roosa1.jpgroosa2.jpg

ProPower

The fuel solenoid only opens when the day tank float is lowered! The day tank gravity feeds the injection pump! The injection pump has more than likely failed! The last 8 gen-sets or so that I have bought have had bad pumps! (Im not a very lucky guy) Word of advice though, dont keep trying to start it if the pump is bad because the hydraulic head will seize up! (trust me) If you have a good used one it can be rebuilt for 300 to 700 bucks, if the head is bad good luck because it is a military specific hydraulic head! good luck!

Last edited:

ProPower

Roll the engine over till the marks on the harmonic dampener line up. You can barely see the marks but they are there! Now the lines in the window on the pump should be lined up!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I guess I will have to stop being lazy and pull the pump. I have a local guy who is pretty reasonable on rebuilds. I was hoping it was something simple like a stuck lever or something.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I opened the window on the side of the pump to see where the mark was before I took the pump off. I spun the engine and the pump does not spin. Maybe a broken shaft.

PeterD

Ouch... I know of a guy who had that happen and it stripped the timing gears. I still have the IP on my bench as an example of worse case failure!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I pulled it off. The front half inch with the teeth section is sheared off. I don't know if the pump is seized up or the shaft just gave out after so many years. I found a new shaft online it was 55 bucks. I will see if the pump still spins and go from there. If it spins I may send it for rebuild if it's stuck I will just find another.