• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-006a hertz problem

BMS07

I got my 60 kw running. But the hertz gauge is not working right. It will go up to about 60 hertz and then drop down to 0. Its making power and it holds steady. The hertz will slowly climb and it will drop again. Is it the gauge or the transducer? Is there and easy fix? Thanks Brad

1800 Diesel

Brad,

Have you checked the frequency with an external meter? Have you verified that RPM isn't dropping when the freq drops? If you've checked both of these items, the only thing that comes to mind is that you should loosen & clean all connection points & then restart the unit. If that doesn't correct the problem, then the transducer & meter should be changed out. IIRC, these are supposed to be a matched set but I stand to be corrected on that. If you could come up with a spare meter & transducer from someone close, that would be helpful for troubleshooting.

Kevin

Jimc

im not sure if they are the same gauge as the 002/003. i would imagine it is. if so my digital hz gauges will work fine or i can dig up a original around here. i probably have a couple with the transducer. just shoot me a pm.

BMS07

I have not checked with an external meter. The rpm does not change. I hold the start run switch up until it makes power. The hertz come up to about 60 and then drops to zero. The gen is still making power and is steady. The hertz will slowly rise from zero when the gen is running. Then drops to zero again. Not sure how to test. Thanks Brad

Jimc

if your rpm isnt changing then neither is your hz. the hz is directly related to engine rpm. your going to find its the gauge.

1800 Diesel

if your rpm isnt changing then neither is your hz. the hz is directly related to engine rpm. your going to find its the gauge.
Agree. Brad--using a known-good external meter to verify frequency would save you & us a lot of time. Hopefully the on-board meter is the only issue & the unit is working properly otherwise.

Kevin

Ray70

Personally, I don't know if the -006 uses the same transducer/gauge setup as the smaller units, but I can tell you that on the smaller ones 9 times out of 10 the problem is the transducer, not the actual gauge. If yours has a transducer and it's bad, forget fixing it, just get a digital gauge from JimC. The transducers are usually epoxy potted and not repairable.

Keith_J

Yes, transducer is the problem. The meter is just an arbitrary movement with a scale on it. The transducer takes in alternating current and converts the frequency into a current analog, for the 002/003 series, that is a 0 to 200 microampere current. At 0 microamps, the meter reads 55 Hz, at 200 microamps, the meter reads 65 Hz. 60 Hz is 100 microamps.

So, if the meter reads 60 Hz and then drops out, the most likely issue is an amplifier overheating. I've taken transducers out and wired them to utility power (stable frequency) to check.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks