• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-006A not making more then 50 volts

Coalrollincummins1

I just bought a Mep-006a gen set that makes only 50 volts on the 120/240 setup and holding it in the start position is the only way it’s making proper voltage can anyone chime in … any help would be greatly appreciated

Scoobyshep

Start by getting into the manuals (TM tap at the top of the page)

When you hold the switch to start, you are bypassing the voltage regulator (this is the flash circuit, its what gets the head going to excite the regulator) You might have a bad AVR but that requires testing to confirm.

Guyfang

Staff member
You said that it makes proper voltage when the S2 is held in the start position. That means the man gen is good. That means the S9-1 switch works, in its first position. When the S2 is released, the S9-1 reverses its contacts, and the the Initial excitation is turned off, and the Static Exciter/Volt Regulator takes over. Do you have the Schematics? Can you read schematics? Because something is not telling the Volt reg to take over and you need to go a bit deeper then changing a part.

Coalrollincummins1

You said that it makes proper voltage when the S2 is held in the start position. That means the man gen is good. That means the S9-1 switch works, in its first position. When the S2 is released, the S9-1 reverses its contacts, and the the Initial excitation is turned off, and the Static Exciter/Volt Regulator takes over. Do you have the Schematics? Can you read schematics? Because something is not telling the Volt reg to take over and you need to go a bit deeper then changing a part.
I am definitely trying to figure out these schematics but I am struggling for sure! Yes I have the -34 downloaded to my phone

Coalrollincummins1

A1266BE3-6F9C-4BB7-B413-6426537241A5.png Is there supposed to be a bus bar across the top because like I said this is all new to me I just got this and by the diagram it looks like it should have one to convert to 120/240

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to read the TM's. The TB1 is changed by taking off the mounting nuts and moving the board. The instructions for moving the board are on the sheet you posted.

Why do you want to move it? Or check it? There is nothing wrong with your main generator.

Get into the -34 TM. Read about how the S9 switch works. It controls the K5 (Field Flash relay). The K5 is in the Special Relay box. See if its there, and if the card its screwed into is damaged.

Coalrollincummins1

You need to read the TM's. The TB1 is changed by taking off the mounting nuts and moving the board. The instructions for moving the board are on the sheet you posted.

Why do you want to move it? Or check it? There is nothing wrong with your main generator.

Get into the -34 TM. Read about how the S9 switch works. It controls the K5 (Field Flash relay). The K5 is in the Special Relay box. See if its there, and if the card its screwed into is damaged.
I just opened the relay box yesterday and it was filthy so I have some cleaning to do first! The only reason I was asking about the bus bar is because I do not see one on this unit but in the diagram it looks like there is a bus bar that goes across the top 4 lugs!

Guyfang

Staff member
Look at the A5 card. It has the K5 mounted on it. Look at the back side of the card also. Burn spots are not good. Often the are traces that have been burnt in half. Burned up components are not good. Sometimes you can fix them. Some times buy a new/used card in ebay, or Forum member KLOPPK makes a new one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks