• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-006a output question

BMS07

I have a 30 HP air compressor that I use to run with a onan 60 kW generator. Well the gen took a crap. So I got a mep-006a. I got it going hook up the gen and when the air compressor trys to start the main circuit breaker kicks out and the over load light comes on. Why? Thanks Brad

212sparky

You have a large inrush current when trying to start the motor. What voltage are you wired for? Do you have any other loads on the gen set?

BMS07

I'm wired for the higher output on the gen. I'm running it at 480 volts. And there is no other load on the generator when I'm trying to start the air compressor.

212sparky

That motor is pulling 22.38 kw when running. On start up it can pull 6 times that. Especially when loaded. Normal load you are at 47 amps roughly, starting you could be up to 275 amps. The 60 kw you had, had the mass to keep up with the inrush current you need. You may need a soft start or unloader valve so the inrush is less. If you turn on battle short will it start it?

PeterD

I'm wired for the higher output on the gen. I'm running it at 480 volts. ...
There's the problem: the MEP puts out 416 volts wye configuration not 480 volts. You would need to do some 'custom' rewiring on the voltage selection panel to get it configured to 480 delta.

BMS07

When I put the multi meter on the output lugs it reads 480 volts. And 60 hertz. I know it says 416 volts on the tag. Put according to my meter its putting out 480 volts.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You have to measure the voltage under load with a multimeter you can't go by the gauge on the gen panel. When the voltage drops current will increase you will cook your stator I have done it. Does the gen bog down?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Have you changed all the fuel filters and flushed everything out? Your injectors could need cleaning. You need to find someone with a load bank and load it in increments. At a 60k load that thing should be chugging and blowing out all of it's built up carbon. Maybe new filters, fresh fuel and a good hot run is what it needs.
Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks