• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 006A-Starter will not engage

jwalker76472

I recently purchased this gen set online. I am a pure bred nooby. I do have a bit of mechanical knowledge though.

When I hit the start/run switch the fuel pump does its thing and sounds like it did the day I bought it except for the small and barely noticeable fact...the starter doesnt engage. Now, with that being said I have 25.5v across the batts and to the back of the starter. So do like any redneck would do and grab a screwdriver and go to the back of the starter. The starter motor spins but I hear zero bendix action. This steal doesn't explain why I can not engage the starter from the toggle. The only fault light I am showing is the low oil fault of course. The dead crank switch is on.

This thing has been a real ass kicker to me as I have some where between 30 minutes and 34 minutes experience with gen sets.

Please advise on where I need to start. I jumped the starter at the two large lugs...Wrong? Right? Lost?

starter.jpg

1800 Diesel

1. Verify both batteries are fully charged. A 100 amp or greater battery load tester comes in handy for this. Batteries can show 12 volts but have no reserve amperage to crank an engine.

2. Remove each battery terminal & clean posts & terminals & re-tighten. I use a little grease on the posts.

3. Remove, clean & re-install wires on starter. A little grease on these connections won't hurt either.

4. After completing above steps try starter switch again. If no success, then verify 24v to the switch and then engage switch & test for 24 volts on the "output" side of the switch. I don't have the TM handy but the wiring diagram will show you the correct terminals for testing. If no voltage is coming out of switch when engaged, then switch is defective. (Note that I have found units that have been idle for years that I had to "hit" the switch pretty hard several cycles to get the switch contacts to function.)

5. If you find that 24v is getting to the starter solenoid, then remove the starter & disassemble & inspect for bad brushes or defective solenoid.

rustystud

The solenoid must be engaged to power the starter. So when you said after jumping straight to the starter terminal you got no bendix action that tells me the solenoid is bad. You could try and whack the solenoid with a hammer (lightly ! ) to see if it will move. They can get rusted and not move at all. If after that it starts you should still disassemble the unit and clean it.

jwalker76472

Here is the steps I have taken so far today. I had good voltage and amps across the batts. I have good voltage across the S2 switch.

I traced the wires back and I had good voltage at R13. Taking P140D good voltage. P142A I do not. The K3 is labeled as a Relay,Crank. I have voltage on the back side large lug but no where else. If I jump from that large lug to the most upfront small lug, I can hear the relay engage but nothing else occurs. Should I have voltage on both large lugs of the K3? I have attached pics of where I jump from the starter to the small wire on the solenoid. It is a small wire. Waiting further advisement.Solenoid1.jpgSolenoid.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks