• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-006A

flat skiff

Guys,
just looking for a little help on timing a MEP-006a. My friend has one that would not start after sitting for a while, after cleaning the fuel system changing the filters it seems the IP was not putting much of fuel out to the nozzles. Pulled the IP off and had it rebuilt by M&D Diesel, pump was in bad shape.

Putting the pump back onto the unit the manual says to check the timing gears in the front to make sure the timing marks are lined up. i can not locate any marks on the IP timing gear or the other gear next to it. Found all the marks on the crankshaft pulley but none on the gears itself. Just looking for advice and suggestions for this one.

Trying to get this thing going so it can be loaned out to folks in Louisiana with no power.

thanks,

flat skiff

Have you downloaded the Technical Manuals for MEP-006a? They are located here.
i did, went through table 14-2 fuel delivery, on figure 14-25 fuel pump and engine timing is where it shows lining up the timing marks on the gear train and then doing the timing marks on the IP pump. my problem is i cant find any timing marks on the gear train as show on figure 14-25 figure B.

Guyfang

Staff member
(2) Check that the timing line on the governor
weight retainer hub is opposite the line on the pump
cam.

Sadly, if you had read this and done it this way, you could have avoided all this problem. When you simply line up the timing marks on the pump. the engine is in the right place, or its 180 degrees out. Then, after rebuild, you simply reline the marks up on the IP, and slip it in. It works, or if not, you line it up again, remove the IP, rotate it 180 degrees, and it has to work. I did the very same thing the first time I pulled a MEP-115A gen set IP.

The marks are there. Hard to find, but there. If you can even line up two of them, the other two should be right. To get in the ball park, you can remove the #1 injector and roll the engine over by hand, until it get almost to the top, compression stroke, then start looking.

Also, the shop that repaired the IP should have been given the test and rebuild portion of the -34 manual, as the military IP pump has a different setting. And the droop has to be set also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks