• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016, MEP-017 Bellhousing Sizes?

derf

Anyone know the bellhousing size? Are the Gas powered gen heads exactly the same as the Diesels in 3kW size?

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have one taken apart, I saw a chart the other day I could re-find that tells how to determine the SAE bellhousing size by the measurements.

Edit: I refound it
This link is dead

Last edited by a moderator:

derf

I should have my 016B/Yanmar apart soon. I'm thinking about putting a larger head on the Yanmar. They put 7HP Yanmars on 3kW units and mine came with a 10HP so I'm thinking it can turn a 5kW head easily. I'd love to try a MEP-017 head if I could find one cheap enough.
Either way, I should have a good 3kW head for sale/trade soon.

panzerwillie

I did that several years ago, i which i had the patiences or the time to do it, i made a adaptor here are some pictures , i posted the complete build in smokestak , the good all days,,DSCN4800.jpg

DSCN4805.jpg

DSCN4806.jpg

derf

I did that several years ago, i which i had the patiences or the time to do it, i made a adaptor here are some pictures , i posted the complete build in smokestak , the good all days,,

I searched smokstak but I couldn't find much info. What kind of adapter did you have to make and was it difficult? Did you start with a Yanmar with the Martin Diesel adapter?

derf

OK, I found your adapter pics. My Yanmar already has an adapter for the 3kW head. Did yours have the same adapter? I'm wondering if the 3kW head and 5kW head might have the same bellhousing pattern. Anyone know?

See attachment. I think that is what I have coupled to the 3kW head.

Attachments

Last edited:

panzerwillie

Can't find the ones of the complete unit on the load bank up to 52 AMPS at 120 volts but smooth for a hour
or so, the YANMAR engine its awson , i even had the factory inclusure but sold it before i got to put it on, hope
this pictures help you:)
DSCN4784.jpg

DSCN4788.jpg

DSCN4801.jpg

DSCN4802.jpg

DSCN4803.jpg

DSCN4807.jpg

derf

Excellent. Thanks for the pics. I may do the same thing. I may be getting a Gillette head, though, so I may use it as it would be much easier to adapt being a two bearing head.
I was hoping the 3kW and 5kW MEPs had the same bellhousing pattern, but you confirmed that they don't.

panzerwillie

I did a few like that with dual bearing and a coupler work good especially that i belive the shaft on that yanmar is 1", if in diameter, if you deside to sale the bell housing flywheel and adaptor i would be intrested,

derf

I did a few like that with dual bearing and a coupler work good especially that i belive the shaft on that yanmar is 1", if in diameter, if you deside to sale the bell housing flywheel and adaptor i would be intrested,
I almost certainly will sell the bell/adapter and most probably the gen head, too. I just can't see wasting a 10HP Yanmar on a 3kW head. I've had a few 5HP Yanmars but I haven't found any used 7HPs, yet. The 7HP is good for a 016A or 016B or 701, IMHO.

I bought a Homelite 6kW today for $50 for parts but it ended up just needing some cleaning and tinkering so it is whole and running fine now. I'm a little disappointed that it ran because it has a nice tank, frame, and components. But, I can't make myself scrap a perfectly good generator when there are so many out there that are already beyond reasonable repair. It was made in China, the typical Honda Clone 13HP motor. I would consider it a decent unit quality wise but compared to a MEP unit it is junk.

Attachments

derf

Does the Yanmar suck from the tank OK or did you need to use a pump other than the injector pump?

panzerwillie

I use the electric fuel pump that was in it from the factory ,i t had 2 one for auxiliry tank so remove it and keep one
, it needed a battery for the electrick start but would start on the cable very easy, everything work like the factory
thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks