• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016b initial setup help and load terminal wiring.

Mgcarma

Good Morning!
I have recently purchased a MEP-016B genset.
While I am no electrician, I am mechanically inclined, and smart enough to respect electricity and the opinions of those on this board.

I have done my due diligence of how to "get it running", she was in a sad state, having sat for a while, approx three years outside. I believe semi-covered.

I have a few things I'd like some advice on.

1. Can someone please help me with a general "initial setup" on a normal single phase 120 application. I am looking to hook up this generator to a properly mounted transfer switch leading to my house 100 amp panel. I wish to use it to power some circuits in my home in the event of a power outage. Depending on what circuits, I may have to opt for 240 output. For now, I just need to know, how to ground the L1, L2, L3, L0 load terminals and ground rod in order to do it properly. From my reading, I just plain don't trust the TM. Particularly the Ground rod, the ground wire to the frame of the genset, and how that relates to the load terminals.

2. I am looking to get advice on how best to "lubricate" all of my external switches. They are a bit stiff and not as "well lubricated" as I would like to have them. Dialetric grease? is there a spray version of this I can coat the internal bits of the switches with in order to get a happy, well lubed switch?

3. Enclosures. Does anyone have any good examples of "home brew" enclosures?

Thanks in advance for the help, I have done a ton of reading in my short time here so far, and this is a fantastic resource with some pretty smart folks.

Regards,
Kevin Richards
Culpeper, Va

1800 Diesel

Welcome aboard Kevin. I recently got one of our MEP-016D generators running and am also trying to sort out the rather unusual output voltage configuration on that specific unit. As I'm not familiar with yours without reading the TM, I did receive much good advice from the very knowledgeable "staff" here on SS.

At first I made the erroneous assumption that L1, L2 & L3 were the same config as the MEP 2, 3 & higher....once I got that sorted out things made more sense.

Also, I've seen several threads here related to generator grounding.

Hopefully, you'll get some good info with some folks who already have your specific model.

Kevin in FL

Rapracing

Good Morning!
I have recently purchased a MEP-016B genset.
While I am no electrician, I am mechanically inclined, and smart enough to respect electricity and the opinions of those on this board.

I have done my due diligence of how to "get it running", she was in a sad state, having sat for a while, approx three years outside. I believe semi-covered.

Is the unit now running? Before finalizing the hook up I would be sure to check they output, etc.

I have a few things I'd like some advice on.

1. Can someone please help me with a general "initial setup" on a normal single phase 120 application. I am looking to hook up this generator to a properly mounted transfer switch leading to my house 100 amp panel. I wish to use it to power some circuits in my home in the event of a power outage. Depending on what circuits, I may have to opt for 240 output. For now, I just need to know, how to ground the L1, L2, L3, L0 load terminals and ground rod in order to do it properly. From my reading, I just plain don't trust the TM. Particularly the Ground rod, the ground wire to the frame of the genset, and how that relates to the load terminals.

There are several discussions on groundingl. Did you do a search? Here is one: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103786-MEP016D-grounding

2. I am looking to get advice on how best to "lubricate" all of my external switches. They are a bit stiff and not as "well lubricated" as I would like to have them. Dialetric grease? is there a spray version of this I can coat the internal bits of the switches with in order to get a happy, well lubed switch?

Not sure what you mean by stiff. I would think you want them to snap into position.

3. Enclosures. Does anyone have any good examples of "home brew" enclosures?

Be creative :-D Just be sure it gets air to cool and the exhaust gets vented.

Thanks in advance for the help, I have done a ton of reading in my short time here so far, and this is a fantastic resource with some pretty smart folks.

Regards,
Kevin Richards
Culpeper, Va
Best of luck

Last edited:

Mgcarma

Rapracing,
Yes, she's running like a champ.
I will check the link you sent. thanks
The switches just seem to be a bit "dry" in their operation, a little scratchy in their operation, not a smooth move and click into position, feels like it could use some dialetric grease, that's all.
Yep, I was just fishing for things that others have done, such as "hey, check out this enclosure I bought on ebay for $50, they sell them like hotcakes"...
Thanks for your info.
Much appreciated.
Kevin

steelypip

1. I would be very cautious about putting any kind of lubricant other than a dielectric rated dry silicone on the switches, which I would apply with a toothpick at most. The concern is dust/dirt attraction as well as conductivity. Chances are not bad that the switches would have to be disassembled and the contacts buffed to really fix this.

2. There's actually an error in some versions of the power connection instructions in the TM. There's an existing post (from TripleJim, I think) about this.

3. Enclosure: I'd look for an inop/stripped MEP-701A, which is an MEP-016B with a lightweight, nice, and simple Acoustic Suppression Kit attached. People have carpentered up a variety of solutions, all of which have worked well. The major concerns seem to be keeping rodents and insects out, rather than keeping the weather out.

Isaac-1

In addition to Steelypip's suggestion about getting a MEP-701a housing, be aware there was also a similar looking trailer mounting housing for the MEP-016b

Mgcarma

Update:
i have it running really well, I have it set up in 240 1 phase. I have two legs of 120v at L1 and L2. Zero volts at L0 and L3. I have it grounded with a ground rod. I want to know, for attaching a heavy power cord to it, which load terminal do I use for ground (the load terminals that carry the power will be my hot wires). I just need to know which one for ground. I'll try and get pics tomorrow. Thanks
kevin

Mgcarma

I'd really like to get some advice on how others have theirs hooked up. So, if I have 120V coming from L1 and L2, I need to know where my ground wire and my neutral wire go. I have zero volts at L0 and L3.
Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Kevin