• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B no start help please

Mgcarma

So, my trusty generator has failed to start for the first time since I have owned it.
I have had it running and generating power, but it has sat for about two years.
It turns over like it should, I found today that the glow plug was shot. I managed to find one locally!
I replaced the glow plug, and confirmed that it works by testing it in the gen set by grounding the body of it while it was not installed, but plugged into the harness. After approx 30 seconds, it glowed bright orange.
Installed it, tried to start it, and it won't go.
1. fuel solenoid pulls back as it should
2.fuel (while at least two years old), is full and is primed as it drips back into the tank via the return line.
Could it be my injector?
Should I be able to crack a line at the injector and check for fuel pumping to the injector? if so, how should I do this and which line should I check it at?
thanks for the help, this site is very helpful to the inept mechanic like myself.
Kevin

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I normally break the line at the injector since that should be the high spot. If I were to guess, my money is on the IP plunger being stuck. You should be able to remove the pump and free everything up with some patience and a little time.

Guyfang

Staff member
Fully agree. Read the TM on injector removal. But before you do that, is your Fuel pump, (item 8) working? If its non-op, then set will not start. And the picture below, fuel strainer. Clean? Good? Passes fuel? Then remove the inlet line from the filter/strainer, to the IP. Got got fuel? If so, remove the output line of the IP, (item 14). Got fuel? If so, then remove the Injector. Hook it back to the input line, and turn the set over. Got fuel?

1641820572988.png

1641820640193.png

1641821098002.png

Mgcarma

Fully agree. Read the TM on injector removal. But before you do that, is your Fuel pump, (item 8) working? If its non-op, then set will not start. And the picture below, fuel strainer. Clean? Good? Passes fuel? Then remove the inlet line from the filter/strainer, to the IP. Got got fuel? If so, remove the output line of the IP, (item 14). Got fuel? If so, then remove the Injector. Hook it back to the input line, and turn the set over. Got fuel?

View attachment 855538

View attachment 855539

View attachment 855540
Guyfang, this is super helpful.
the fuel pump (item 8). The only way I know anything is working on this piece is that it primes. I know it primes as I can hear the fuel dripping back into the tank.
I will test that first and report back with my progress. Thank you.
kevin

Mgcarma

View attachment 855538

View attachment 855539

View attachment 855540
Also, last time I used this generator (and it has not moved since), I took the entire fuel filter system apart, cleaned it and put in new filter. When I unscrew the drain, diesel pours out, so I’m assuming it’s full of diesel. I will double check this and report back.

Mgcarma

View attachment 855538

View attachment 855539

View attachment 855540
Report:
Furl pumps fuel to the injector pump, from the tank, through the pump and into the injector pump. No fuel at injector pump exit.
K

Mgcarma

I would say, you just might have found your problem. If it sat for 2 years, then the IP might be not doing its thing because of lacquer gumming up the works. Might want to clean it out. Injector also.
Ok, I have the IP out, definitely hung up in the up position. Starting to take
It apart so I can clean it. How far does it disassemble?

Guyfang

Staff member
The last time I did this was maybe 1976? Its not complacated, not many parts. Just pay attention when taking it apart. In the Army, it was a "Pluck n Chuck" item. Having said that, we did take them apart and soaked them over night in Carb cleaner or something like that. Might want to think about the injector also.

Ray70

It comes apart all the way down to individual components. There is no info in the TM because it is a throw away part, but I had found it on you tube back when I needed it. Pay very close attention to the markings to align when you reassemble.
Search Bosch PFR injection pump for detailed instructions.

Mgcarma

It comes apart all the way down to individual components. There is no info in the TM because it is a throw away part, but I had found it on you tube back when I needed it. Pay very close attention to the markings to align when you reassemble.
Search Bosch PFR injection pump for detailed instructions.
Thank you, I will double check my work as I cleaned it in the ultrasonic cleaner and everything moves as it should, I just want to make sure that my springs a d washers are in the correct orientation.

Attachments

Mgcarma

Looks good to me. Been a while since I did it, but looks good.
Ok, I’m up and running!
Thanks to guyfang for walking me through it. Had to bleed the pump and lime to injector, but she fired right up. Also posting pics of glow plug that I picked up at advance auto. Works a charm and less than ten bucks! Generator is putting out two legs of 120v and humming along nicely. Anyone care to suggest diesel fuel treatment? Thanks again.

Attachments

Ray70

Excellent work! for fuel treatment you can really use just about anything available locally.
Lots of guys also use PRI-D which is for me is a mail order item.
Diesel 911 , Power Service Diesel supplement and Howes Diesel Treatment are all usually stocked locally as well as a hand full of other diesel treatments.
Personally I typically use PRI-D and Power Service Supplement and I also add ATF and some 2 stroke oil to my fuel.
Anything is better than nothing, and everyone will have their own opinion on what they like best.

cbisson

Excellent work! for fuel treatment you can really use just about anything available locally.
Diesel 911 , Power Service Diesel supplement and Howes Diesel Treatment are all usually stocked locally as well as a hand full of other diesel treatments.
Personally I typically use PRI-D and Power Service Supplement and I also add ATF and some 2 stroke oil to my fuel.
Anything is better than nothing, and everyone will have their own opinion on what they like best.
I'm guessing the ATF and 2 stroke oil is to add lubricity to the ultra low sulfur fuel? How much of each do you add to say 5 gallons of diesel?

Mgcarma

I have used howes in the past. I’ll use that. Thanks.
I’m going to siphon off the old fuel and add some new fuel with Howe’s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks