• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016B Story Time

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Traded for an mep-016b that looks like it has been sitting in the middle of the forest with no oil filter or fluids in general for about a decade, brought it home degreased and powerwashed the 17 pounds of acorns, ants and dirt out of it, brought it inside and wouldn't fill the new oil filter and was blowing exhaust out the intake only, thought it was the valves so made sure they were free and readjusted them as per the user manual still the exact same outcome. I then ignored that for the time being and the entire fuel system seems to work fine even the auxiliary fuel pump, while turning it over only white smoke out the intake nothing from exhaust other than sucking in air then I noticed if looking at it from the control panel the engine was turning clockwise (looking from the fan side counterclockwise), I assume this is wrong so looked at the starter and it is an ONAN 191-1550...should it not have an ONAN 191-1618 on it? I think my only issue with it at this point is engine spinning backwards but was hoping someone could confirm...and if so would that keep oil from filling the oil filter?

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the engine is running backwards then the oil pump is running backwards

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Right and to my knowledge the oil should enter the filter from the outside ring get filtered to the center and exit thru the center....yet currently on my machine the center is pushing out and the outside is pulling in back to the engine (verified by putting finger over the hole in the threaded stud where filter spins on it is pushing out)

I'm theorizing that the reason the oil filter is not filling is since its running backwards and pumping backwards the oil level isnt high enough to make it into the return (at this point intake) oil line

Last edited:

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you posted in another post that this generator was blowing out the seal on the oil filter. Keep your threads together gets confusing trying to diagnose in 2 different threads.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you posted in another post that this generator was blowing out the seal on the oil filter. Keep your threads together gets confusing trying to diagnose in 2 different threads.
Right the issue in this thread has been resolved thus I have a new issue so posted it in a new thread, this one can be deleted/closed/resolved but I don't think I can do any of those 3 options.

Ray70

You're not the only one to have had the wrong starter in an 016! I worked on one a few years ago for a fellow SS member and ended up with the same problem, it had a bad starter so I tossed in one from my spare parts pile. Gen would crank but wouldn't start, but I noticed it was puffing smoke out the air intake.
Ended up that one of my starters was the reverse rotation. I never would have suspected they would have 2 identical looking starters with opposite rotations!

Guyfang

Staff member
I never would have suspected they would have 2 identical looking starters with opposite rotations!

And that's why I wont nuke this thread. Someone could learn something here.

Last edited:

Scoobyshep

I once rebuilt a starter for my forklift, (obsolete, no brushes available) made my own parts. The relevant experience here is I got the brush poles backwards which is very effective in making a clockwise starter an anticlockwuse starter.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're not the only one to have had the wrong starter in an 016! I worked on one a few years ago for a fellow SS member and ended up with the same problem, it had a bad starter so I tossed in one from my spare parts pile. Gen would crank but wouldn't start, but I noticed it was puffing smoke out the air intake.
Ended up that one of my starters was the reverse rotation. I never would have suspected they would have 2 identical looking starters with opposite rotations!
Right, turns out there is 2 onan starters everything about them is exactly the same except rotation, with new starter all the issues are finally fixed and runs great