• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016C, 3ph load?

kaiser715

I found an electric chain hoist real cheap, but it's 3-phase. After I turned it down...I got to thinking...will my MEP-016C (3kw gas) start and run it?

Hoist is a Coffing 2 ton, 3 phase, with a 1 HP motor.

Do y'all think the genset will start and run the motor? Even when starting a load "up"??

Thanks!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the gear reductions in those kind of hoists, load going up shouldn't be too much. However the FLA (Full Load Amps) draw on a 1 HP 3 phase motor should only be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 3.5 amps at low voltage.

Check the motor nameplate and it will list the operating voltages and full load currents (FLA) of the motor. The current will be listed something like this...FLA 3.5/1.25 That means at the higher rated voltage usually 480 the motor will draw 1.25 amps at full load and 3.5 amps at full load at 240 volts. If the motor is capable of running on 208 volts it will state this on the nameplate and list a 3rd current rating to correspond with that voltage.

As far as your question goes, from looking at the nameplate of that genny (on the internet) you should be more than capable of running that load, starting, however, may bog down the engine a bit but I think you might be safe.

m139h2otruck

3 kw unit is 208 volts on 3 phase. Hoist would have to be the same, and I thinnk it would work. One hp would use about 2 kw to start.

kaiser715

Welp, picked up the hoist...it's the large frame, 2-HP. Good news is, it's like brand new.

I'm gonna pull the covers tomorrow and see what the motor data plate says. I'll prolly end up building a phase converter.

kaiser715

Dataplate on the motor is:

208 - 6.4 amps
230 - 6 amps
460 - 3 amps

It was set for 460 from the factory (it was never installed as far as I can tell). I changed out the jumpers for 230, and tried it on the genset. With no load, it started fine, no bogging down or anything. I'll try and figure out a way to load test it soon (I haven't welded up my gantry yet) and see how it does under load.