• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D Fuel tank lesson learned

1800 Diesel

Finally got around to doing a check-out on one of the MEP-016Ds I got in a few months back. It had good oil in it and fuel in the day tank so I fired it up and it ran great & produced voltage. Didn't run it too long though as I noticed fuel seeping out onto the shop floor. Lifted the unit up with the tractor & saw at least one pinhole (more like a pencil lead thickness) pouring out and then some seepage coming out around the mounting straps. So, before I fill the 2nd unit, I'll be doing a better inspection of the underside of the fuel tank....

Will do a fiberglass repair on the leaking tank in a day or so & get it back running so I can load her up...

1800 Diesel

all you need is bolt, two metal flat washers, a couple pieces of rubber & a locking nut.
Agree with that--done the same thing on some of my old Briggs & Stratton stuff, but if there's several holes it usually means the fuel tank is pitted over a large area & more leaks will follow. That's why I'll do some "destructive inspection" by sanding the tank's bottom surface & look for more leaks....hopefully I'll be able to use the bolt method when I find only the one leak or a couple leaks.... :)

Also, if I find multiple leaks, then I'll just glass the entire bottom area--this will block future leaks too.

Thanks,

Kevin