• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D load Gauge

s205designs

Hello All,

Just a quick question about load gauge on the 016D. I've noticed that when running on a 3kw load (2 electric space heaters verified with a kill-a-watt) my gauge reads about 30%. I suspect the gauge if faulty, any suggestions for testing/adjusting/repairing the gauge ? The TM simply says replace and I'm not sure where I could find a replacement load gauge. Does anyone even use the gauges on the sets, I heard they're not very accurate.

Thanks,
J

Isaac-1

Just off the top of my head, there are a few thoughts, but the first one is perhaps you have the wrong load meter installed on your generator, you might want to check the NSN number on it vs the -24p manual.

Ike

s205designs

Isaac,

Thanks for the almost immediate reply! I will check it tomorrow. I noticed there is a screw on the front of the gauge that seems to adjust the needle slightly. It doesn't do much but it does have some effect, are you familiar with this screw? It doesn't say anything in the manual about calibrating the gauge, is there a procedure to do so? Can you disassemble and repair a faulty gauge?

Thanks,
J

Isaac-1

Yes, most gauges have these sorts of screws for fine tuning, while I do have a MEP-016d I have not spent much time looking at how the gauges are connected on it compared to my MEP-016b, but thinking about it I do seem to recall that they may use a shunt resistor on the back of some of the gauges, a broken resistor could cause the gauge to read off. I will try to look at the wiring diagram, and at my 016d, although it may be the weekend before I have a chance to look at it in daylight.

Ike

cucv1833

My 016D is doing the opposite. When I put a 1.2kw load it the gauge reads around 90% if I put more load on it it really does'nt move to much more.

Mine had 4- resistors in the back of the gauge and 2-were broken. I went to radio shack and replaced them with the proper resistance. It seemed to stop the gauge bouncing but is still reading too high. Im not to worried about it now though.

cucv1833

Are these resistors inside of the gauge or accross the terminals external to the gauge?

Thanks,
J

There on a board connected to back of the gauge. There were clearly broken leads on the resistors but did not fix my problem.

Open the cover and take a look at what you see or just buy a new gauge like the TM suggest. I just searched and found the gauge for $20 NSN#6625-00-065-5258.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks