• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 016e bad fuel pump

jonster

Now on to the mep016e. This unit look brand new, but after going through it I can't get the main fuel pump to work. I took it apart and cleaned it, and it just clunks when energized. It is a facet 24 volt pump. Are all facet 24 volt fuel pumps operating at the same psi? Is there a way to rebuild them?

Isaac-1

The most common failure on these Facet pumps is the inline capacitor used to reduce radio interference, if yours is not pumping you might try bypassing the capacitor (if it has one) on the power lead.

Triple Jim

I don't mean to butt in front of Isaac, but yes, you can run without the capacitor. It's for RF noise suppression, and if you never plan to use the generator around radio equipment, you won't miss it. If you're going to use it to power emergency communication equipment, for example, you should replace it with something to do the same job if you find it's the problem.

jonster

Sorry to be so brief. Diesel hands. Yes it was the capacitor, while working on that I realized I failed to return the fuel pump strainer to it's home. Everything is back together, and engine fires up, I will check output sometime this week. Thanks again!

jonster

I am trying to bring another mep016e back to life. This one has the yanmar L100AE engine. This unit like the last one had a tricky fuel pump. I ended up replacing that. The pump works, but I can't seem to get fuel through the engine. I have checked and cleaned all the lines. Could this be a injector pump problem? Any TMs for the L100AE? Thanks in advance. One more thing. I made my own battery pan for under twenty bucks, I will post pics soon. Advance auto sells a $5.99 plastic battery tray that fits two u1 lawn and garden batteries. The rest was easy.

jonster

I cleaned the IP and she fired right up. This unit with the 10 hp L100ae seems to be way under-rated. I put two 1500 watt heaters on it and it only read 45%. Does that mean it will handle 6kw?

ETN550

I cleaned the IP and she fired right up. This unit with the 10 hp L100ae seems to be way under-rated. I put two 1500 watt heaters on it and it only read 45%. Does that mean it will handle 6kw?
The MEP-016 series and the 701A will handle a 4kw resistive load (PF=1.0) and register 100% on the load meter when doing so. Your results could be due to any number of things or a combination of all. The load meter may be out of whack. The meter may be bad, but not likely if it is moving freely and not sticking.

The meter may be adjusted with the center cal screw but it will not provide much range if it is an Ideal made meter.

Know your load and use a Kill - A - Watt meter to measure the load and voltage percisely.

Check the voltage of the unit with a separate meter and adjust the unit's voltage meter if it is off. If you are running under voltage the heaters will consume much less power.

"1500" watt heaters may only be consuming 1350 watts. I find this true with many small appliances. They over state their ratings.

The load meter should be around 75% with a true 3kw load.

My avatar is a MEP-016B at a 4kw resistive load.

At 4+kw load, in summertime conditions, 90 degF and at 1000 ft elevation, 60%+ humidity the L100 will just begin to smoke indicating that it is close to running out of air. Nothing anyone would notice unless they watched the exhaust for a few minutes. 4kw and under it runs clean.

Last edited:

Grove

Is the only way to bypass the capacitor by cutting the wire between it and the pump? It appears to be a crimped connection and I don't want to cut it if I'm just to stupid to unplug it.

Grove

ETN550

Yes the wire is potted into the RF supressor. Cut it out and reattach the ends of the wires. Usually there is plenty of length to work with. A good way to do it is to solder the wires back together and use heat shrink on them but a wire nut with some tape over it will work fine too.

Grove

The RF box was bad and I bypassed it but I'm still not getting voltage to the pump. The pump was stuck until I took it apart and cleaned it out. The unit runs great with a jumper wire from the pump to the battery so I need to figure out my voltage problem. Where should I look as potential reasons for not getting pump voltage?

Grove

ETN550

Are you asking the same question in 2 threads? Look at "Who has an 016E" thread for your answer and kill this thread off or vice versa. thanks,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks