• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-017a Carb Issues

kevindugan

Had an issue earilier this year wth a carb on the MEP-017a an the concensuswas to buy a new one - which I did. I have been having the worst time getting the unit to run now, seems like the carb just puts out too much gas and just floods the unit right off the bat. Anyone has suggestions on how to get the carb into a workable state - what are the three screws for on the unit? I am new to all of this and some of the easy items for the rest appear to be tough for me. Any help would be great.

Thanks

usmc434

Mep017 carbs

Army surplus warehouse has eng. 2a042 mep017 nos carbs for $19.00 and $5.00 shipping ...no rebul. Kits available....best to replace when carb .. Go bad.

Larry in alabama

cornrichard

Ethanol fuel is expanding your float. It is made of foam and can't take the corn gas. I coated one with epoxy and it worked for a while. There is another thread on here about a different coating that works. You will have to search to find it. Or just let the float dry out and do not use any more ethanol fuel. The new carbs have the same junk float in them.

BIG_RED

In Canada - premium grade fuel does not have any ethanol in it. Mid and Reg grade fuel can have at least 10% ethanol added. Ethanol is bad for a variety of reasons. It corrodes stuff, it eats rubber and some plastics. And it has a fairly high octane rating.. so when they put Ethanol in fuel, they don't need to use the good octane chemicals (toluene, previously lead). Ethanol seems to go bad alot faster than normal gas (turn green, smell bad) and when this happens it loses octane rating and gets more corrosive. We (myself, my friends, work) run premium on all our small engines up here. Doesn't seem to bother daily driven cars, since it's only a week old when it gets burned.

Carl_in_NH

Take the float bowl off and check; the two MEP-017 2A042 carbs I've got are both soldered brass and not foam, although I did hear a rumor of foam floats at one point.

Take it apart and make certain it's completly clean. Even brand new carbs are 10-30 years old, and sometimes the gasket material falls apart a little and gets stuck in small places inside the carb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks