• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 017a Low Voltage output ?

crazymechanic

Hi thanks for all the advise guys,
the 3 kw is working now puitting out 120volts so far
Iv been taking aprt the mep002 and it turns out the stator is bad I need a new one any one have a used one on here ???

Attachments

Rwf642

MEP-003a. Voltage problems

I have read these posts looking for a fix for for my MEP-003a. I'm sure my issue has been addressed in this thread, but I'm a slow study and working with voltage is not to be taken without caution. My engine runs great at all rpm's. Ac 110 accessory outlet on front next to ac circuit breaker runs my electric drill without any issues. Voltage meter is not registering any voltage. I opened the panel and tested voltage at the gauge , showed 22-38 volts. When I adjusted the voltage knob to higher voltage the voltage went down on my dvm. I put the ohm meter on the voltage pot and it went from continuity to 900+ ohms when turned to max voltage. I'm not sure of what and where the diodes are to test. I will try the wd40 on the voltage pot if the thought is a corroded pot. I have two of these gensets on one trailer and the other one is working with no issues. (an/mjq-18) I could swap parts to test if necessary. Any help or pics of what I should be looking at would be appreciated. nopics

Keith_J

this wire in the pic has 24 volts all the time dosnt matter if switch is on or not seems wrong ,I dont no if this is correct ?
If that wire is P50J16, it is always hot when the batteries are connected.

For MEP gen sets, the circuit is the first letter and two numbers, the second letter in the fourth position is the connector and the final two numbers are the wire size.

crazymechanic

great, thanks keith
Il check it out whe it stops raining I still need a stator because it didnt check out it was putting out 3 volts a/c

Keith_J

The stator is dead simple, windings don't fail. Diodes probably are bad. Take notes on positive and negative, replace accordingly.

derf

The stator is dead simple, windings don't fail. Diodes probably are bad. Take notes on positive and negative, replace accordingly.

Windings do fail. They can go short or open. Sometimes they check out OK (like 0.7 Ohms) and then short or open under load. I have an 003 with a bad stator.

Keith_J

Odd. Magnets don't go bad unless they have been through a fire. It would be difficult to replace the magnets as they are glued to the rotor.

crazymechanic

these are a bolted in part and you can tell they have been replaced before there housing is brown primer probly for a 12 volt system who knows , magnets can go bad from a simple wack with a hammer towards the south pole , il see if i can post a picture

crazymechanic

stator

also my other smaller GEN MEP 016B has intermitten voltage to battery as well charges when i first start it gos up to 26.9 then let it run a while and voltage is back down to 24.4 is this the voltage reg as well any one have this ? I cant beleive I got 2 gens with charging problems no wonder they were auctioned off

Last edited:

crazymechanic

hey out there anyone there ??I thought i had a voltage problem charging Batteries turns out its works watching it for a while it goes up and back down till batteries are charges 25.5 - 29.9 , when I first start it shoots up to 32 volts then comes back down and settles woohoo works for me , I got another mag and stator for the mep 002 used this time Im putting that on hopefully it will work

ron87777

MEP-017A 60 6115-00-017-8240
I have a Stator and Exciter needs to be rewired, mice got to it. Has anyone tried removing the STATOR ASSEMBLY 13211E6843 from the generator Housing. I follow the TM disassembly procedure it will no come out. I do not know if the stator is pressed fit.

Guyfang

Staff member
Before you started tearing it apart, did you turn the main gen over? did it move? I last took one apart in 1973, and its been a while, but it was a very simple procedure. If the rotor is separated from the motor, you should be able to take off the bearing cap side and slide it out. Are you by any chance trying to leave the rotor hooked up to the motor, and pull the stator package off?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks